Christmas Tardigrade + Battle-scarred Tardigrade

Images made through a microscope. All subject types.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

Kite

Christmas Tardigrade + Battle-scarred Tardigrade

Post by Kite »

Christmas, what better to do than grab a bit of moss from the windowsill and bung it under the microscope when you havea free 30 minutes, and what better to see than a wonderful new tardigrade species I havent seen before.

I havent got any photos, but there is a video I have uploaded.

This is narated by yours truly, with a cold, so sorry if I sound sniffly.

a few notes:
- sorry about the focus, I only had a 2 inch veiwer window :D
- I ask if you can see the eyes, if you can, you are haulucinating, after I took this video it held still for a bit and I got a good look at its head... This species is blind (or has red eyespots that arent visible because of its colour, or it could be that it has no main eyes, but some tardigrade species have 2 "phantom" eyes that are very small and allmost invisible)

here is the link (28 MB, 2 movies, RAR file): http://www.megaupload.com/?d=KZBNJOHW

Battle-scarred tardigrade:

This i saw this morning (boxing day).

It is another new species that I havent seen before, and when I first saw it I knew something was weird about it. closer examination showed that this water piglet has scars, missing bits, and generaly is battered about a bit.

The circled area in this pic is the most obvious defect, a triangular chunk missing from its snout.
You can see the stylets here (the 2 curved things either side of the tube leading to its stomach, these go forward and puncture a cell while the tube is extended and sucks the innards out. the method of sucking is done by the oval muscle just below the stylets around the food tube (these all have real names, im just forgetting them right now)
You can also see just general bumpyness and some weird lines on its body.

This photo shows the full body surfece, you can see a little more than halfway down its length it has 2 lines running across its body, i belive these are scars.
the close up on its head on the left is showing the eyes in detail, to me it seems that the right eye is out of place compared to the left, judgeing by the stylets facing allmsot exactly streight up, the eyes are not level.

well there you go, 2 tardigrades in 2 days, both new species, I love christmas :D (but not nearly as much as I love Tardigrades)
Last edited by Kite on Tue Dec 26, 2006 6:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Microscope: Watson Barnett Bactil
Camera: Kodak DX7440 (not SLR, no attachment for the microscope, i just hold it over the lens and pray :()

Ken Ramos

Post by Ken Ramos »

Water Bears are fun to find and to watch. They seem to turn up in some of the most unusual places. Someone found one in a lichen once. Nice pics. :D

Kite

Post by Kite »

yeah, I have found them in lichen too, they have turned up in the middle of the ocean, a few living on a floatingbit of algea for example, they are extremphiles to the max!

got the video link eventually! i edited my post with it in now.
Camera: Kodak DX7440 (not SLR, no attachment for the microscope, i just hold it over the lens and pray :()

Charles Krebs

Post by Charles Krebs »

I remember looking for these when I was a kid... never did find one then. Come across them pretty regularly know that I know where and how to look!
they are extremphiles to the max!
They don't look all that tough when you see them moving around, but when you read about what they can survive through as a "tun" it is remarkable.

Kite

Post by Kite »

in a tun they are pretty darn amazing things. bit boring to look at, but great fun to try and destroy (which is allmsot imposible)

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic