www.photomacrography.net :: View topic - FLASH SYNCH FOR MACRO
www.photomacrography.net Forum Index
An online community dedicated to the practices of photomacrography, close-up and macro photography, and photomicrography.
Photomacrography Front Page Amateurmicrography Front Page
Old Forums/Galleries

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
FLASH SYNCH FOR MACRO

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.photomacrography.net Forum Index -> Macro and Micro Technique and Technical Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MICROMOG

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2011 3:13 am    Post subject: FLASH SYNCH FOR MACRO Reply with quote

I am wanting to use second curtain flash synch with a long exposure, so that vibration from the first cutain dies down before the flash fires. (This is in addition to mirror-up and using the timer) This works OK with the 520 EX II Speedlight, but this option is greyed out when I try to use the Canon MT 24 EX twin macro flash. I get a message that says the flash is incompatible with the second curtain function. Does anyone know a way round this or will I have to buy a second 520 EX II ? Any advice would be much appreciated. Alan.
JW

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2011 6:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Weird, works for me using an old Canon 10D body, with a custom function setting for second curtain sync.
Craig Gerard

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2011 6:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alan,

It will need to be set on the flash unit, not via the camera menu, though it may be possible via a custom function. Which camera are you using?

I don't own a MT-24EX so can't be more specific. Hopefully the following links may be helpful, whilst awaiting additional input from other members.

Quote:
By default, the flash fires in synchronization with the first shutter curtain when the shutter is fully open. With Second-curtain Sync, the flash fires immediately before the second shutter curtain closes at the end of the exposure.

http://www.learn.usa.canon.com/app/pdfs/quickguides/CDLC_MR14EX_24EX_QuickGuide.pdf

http://photonotes.org/articles/eos-flash/index3.html

Craig
MICROMOG

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JW wrote:
Weird, works for me using an old Canon 10D body, with a custom function setting for second curtain sync.

Problem now sorted. With the MT 24 EX flash you have to set second curtain on the flash unit rather than on the camera.

Many thanks for responding.

Alan Morgan
MICROMOG

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Craig Gerard wrote:
Alan,

It will need to be set on the flash unit, not via the camera menu, though it may be possible via a custom function. Which camera are you using?

I don't own a MT-24EX so can't be more specific. Hopefully the following links may be helpful, whilst awaiting additional input from other members.

Quote:
By default, the flash fires in synchronization with the first shutter curtain when the shutter is fully open. With Second-curtain Sync, the flash fires immediately before the second shutter curtain closes at the end of the exposure.

http://www.learn.usa.canon.com/app/pdfs/quickguides/CDLC_MR14EX_24EX_QuickGuide.pdf

http://photonotes.org/articles/eos-flash/index3.html

Hi, I am not yet used to this forum business and I think my previous attempt to reply to you may have failed, so trying again. Thanks very much indeed for the link to the Canon training pdf doc - this told me exactly what I wanted to know and I have now done my first stack ! I will attempt to upload it. I took 100 shots at 1 thou intervals and used Helicon Focus. Lots to optimise !! Thnaks agin for you very helpful reply. Cheers, Alan Morgan.

Craig

AndrewC

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 4:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MICROMOG wrote:
JW wrote:

Problem now sorted. With the MT 24 EX flash you have to set second curtain on the flash unit rather than on the camera.

Many thanks for responding.

Alan Morgan

Seems a strange control logic - you would think the camera would just send a sync signal to the flash telling it when to fire. This way it implies the camera always sends a first and a second curtain sync signal and the flash decides which one to pick.

"Is that an accurate dictionary ? Charlie Eppes
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.photomacrography.net Forum Index -> Macro and Micro Technique and Technical Discussions All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: