Cirri

Images made through a microscope. All subject types.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

Wim van Egmond

Cirri

Post by Wim van Egmond »

Phew, it has been a while since I posted anything. Sorry guys! Too many projects and I was beginning to become a bit fed up with staring into that square lamp on my desk.

I am now trying to have a little holiday and I am also trying to organise the images I made during this summer. :)

This is one I made of a Hypotrich ciliate. I still have to check which genus.

Wim

Ken Ramos

Post by Ken Ramos »

This is a really great image there Wim :D . Just off hand and referencing Jahns, I would say that this is probably an Oxytricha fallax, approx. 150um give or take a few microns (ref. by Jahn). The reason being that there are at least five cirri at the posterior and those five plus the cirri at the anterior are about the number referenced in Jahns (pg. 254, fig. 426 (A) and your images shows at least four of what could be five in the lateral area of the cell as also reference by the drawing in Jahns. Very nice. :D

Wim van Egmond

Post by Wim van Egmond »

Thank you for that ID, Ken!!

I hope to post a bit more the coming weeks. I have been away too long:)

Wim

beetleman

Post by beetleman »

Beautiful Picture Wim ( I noticed you were being scarce). really nice details in the capture. (Ken, I love when you talk science to us :wink: )
Take Nothing but Pictures--Leave Nothing but Footprints.
Doug Breda

Charles Krebs

Post by Charles Krebs »

Wim... great shots, as usual... and good to see you posting again!

There have been quite a few nice postings the past few days that I would love to respond to, but I am among those battered by the rather severe storm that hit this region Thursday and have no electricity, phone, heat, internet. Have found a few minutes on the internet tonight at my sons house and am enjoying the new shots!

Ken Ramos

Post by Ken Ramos »

Been hearing about that mess out there on the news Charlie. Glad to read that you are surviving the onslaught and found a bit of time to see what is going on here. Hope to find you posting again back in the comfort of your own home there soon Charlie. :)

Wim van Egmond

Post by Wim van Egmond »

Thank you, friends! Sad to hear about the bad weather Charlie. Than you realize how dependend we are on electricity. I hope you will be back online soon. In the meantime, candle lit photomicrography?

Wim

Charles Krebs

Post by Charles Krebs »

Fortunately one of my sons lives nearby and has his power back. An irony is that I now have one lighting set-up with LED and electronic flash that is run entirely off battery power, so I could actually be using the scope and taking pictures. Problem is that when the temperature in the house is somewhere in the 30's(F) it sort of takes the fun out of it! ... and besides the slides would keep fogging up from my breath. :shock:

It's true Wim... ten years ago it this type of thing was an annoyance, but now it seems like the vast majority of what I do... from business records and contacts and correspondence to all the pictures I've taken the past two years... revolves around computers in some way.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic