Very new to photomicroscopy

Starting out in microscopy? Post images and ask questions relating to the microscope and get answers from our more advanced users on the subject.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

fogboundturtle

Very new to photomicroscopy

Post by fogboundturtle »

I decided to pickup photo microscopy as a hobby for rainy day. On clear night, I do astronomy photography. I am using an DMK31 Monochrome camera. My filter wheel is on order and I will be able to create color composite soon.

In the meantime, this is a few not so great attempt. (I got the microscope today).

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Post by rjlittlefield »

fogboundturtle, welcome aboard! I think you intended to post in Beginners Micro (not Macro), so I'll move the thread after you've had a chance to reply.

The first image is recognizable as paramecia or some similar protozoa. Third appears to be a section of plant stem, and I have no idea about the second.

First images are always exciting, but you've probably noticed that these images are not as sharp as many posted elsewhere in our forum. It's worth exploring why that is.

To start, I have a couple of quick questions:
1) What kind of microscope is this?
2) Does the image captured by your camera show the same resolution as what you see through the eyepiece by eye?

--Rik

fogboundturtle

Post by fogboundturtle »

rjlittlefield wrote:fogboundturtle, welcome aboard! I think you intended to post in Beginners Micro (not Macro), so I'll move the thread after you've had a chance to reply.

The first image is recognizable as paramecia or some similar protozoa. Third appears to be a section of plant stem, and I have no idea about the second.

First images are always exciting, but you've probably noticed that these images are not as sharp as many posted elsewhere in our forum. It's worth exploring why that is.

To start, I have a couple of quick questions:
1) What kind of microscope is this?
2) Does the image captured by your camera show the same resolution as what you see through the eyepiece by eye?

--Rik
Thank you for your reply. Please move me in the correct section

1. This is a no name, made in china trinocular telescope.

2. I think my camera is suffering from the lack of IR/UV cut filter. The c-mount objective doesn't seem to have the same resolution has the eyepiece. My camera is c-mount native but I can't use my filter since I need to use a 1.25 inch drawtube and I can't reach focus that way.

I am good friend with the microscope shop owner so I think I will take it back. I wanted a microscope so I can practice making RGB composite with a monochrome camera but it looks that if I want to use a filter wheel with my setup it's going to be really tricky.

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Post by rjlittlefield »

I have no experience regarding IR/UV cut filters, so can't say how important that is. Regarding the filter wheel, consider also whether you could mount that in the illumination section, say below the condenser.

--Rik

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic