www.photomacrography.net :: View topic - Mitutoyo High-Magnification Adapter
www.photomacrography.net Forum Index
An online community dedicated to the practices of photomacrography, close-up and macro photography, and photomicrography.
Photomacrography Front Page Amateurmicrography Front Page
Old Forums/Galleries

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Mitutoyo High-Magnification Adapter
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.photomacrography.net Forum Index -> Equipment Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Craig Gerard

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 8:10 pm    Post subject: Mitutoyo High-Magnification Adapter Reply with quote

Mitutoyo High-Magnification Adapter

I know what the 10X refers to (I think); but what is the intended application of the side 'window'...?

Craig

*edit: adjusted title of the thread

Last edited by Craig Gerard on Sun Feb 20, 2011 11:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
SONYNUT

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lighting i would guess
Chris S.
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Through-the-lens illumination is a good possibility, but I can think of another. As I noticed in passing just a little while ago, while posting a link in another thread to the Mitutoyo Microscope Units and Objectives brochure , Mitutoyo makes some microscopes designed to capture images at different levels of magnification. If that side port goes to a beam splitter fixed below the 10x magnifier, maybe it's used for that?
Choronzon

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 7:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This device is to adapt microscope objectives to a Mitutoyo optical comparator, and allow reflected light to the sample to be measured. The identifying part is the comparator lens bayonet that correctly positions this and the comparator lenses to the reflected light from the comparator body.
Craig Gerard

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the information and advice.

Do you envision a practical use for this piece with regard to macro?

The Mitutoyo Code # is 172-248 and the box has Mitutoyo High-Magnification Adapter printed on the external label.

It connects to a comparator and serves as an adapter for attaching objectives which provide the 'high-magnification' factor.

Will let you know what I make of it when it arrives...is there a tubelense in there somewhere.....?

The item is 'new', but the condition of the box would indicate 'new old stock'.

Craig
Craig Gerard

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This piece arrived today.

The Mitutoyo M Plan Apo objectives screw into the turret.

I have no idea what the '10X' designation refers to.

Currently looking for a way to successfully couple the whole piece to a DSLR arrangement.

It's frustrating when you loosen all the visible screws and nothing budges Confused

I removed the comparator bayonet, easily enough; now looking for something more universal to replace it ......

There is a tube lense of some description inside.
I am seeing a good image on the sensor, magnification unknown; but at this stage the gizmo is being held by hand, so it is difficult to determine just how good the image quality is in reality.

I have decided to leave this piece intact, and not attempt to tease the tube lense out. I like the rotating turret.
The quality of the unit is far too high for applying modifications or dismantling (apart from removing the comparator bayonet = three screws).

The most appropriate course appears to replace the comparator bayonet with a threaded 'sleeve' of some description and utilise the empty screw holes originally used to secure the bayonet.

Craig
Blame

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am going to make a guess.

Could the 10x refer to additional magnification? A bit like those 1.4x and 2.0x multipliers for telephoto.
ChrisR
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It does look rather like part of the thing on the right of P31 of the cat..
http://www.photomacrography.net/forum/userpix/671_Untitled1_5.jpg
If it were a comparator system I think the lenses would need to be telecentric, so they could be used for measuring.

But : Edit _ just googling, found the expected shape of a comparator lens - from the same vendor I think? It does indeed look, from the bayonet position, like this thing of yours goes in place of a normal comparator lens. perhaps on one of their PJ300 comparators.
I can't make "10x" fit , though! http://compare.ebay.com/like/380313380399?ltyp=AllFixedPriceItemTypes&var=sbar

What's the focal length of the "tube" lens in your widget? Not negative is it?
Craig Gerard

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ChrisR wrote:
What's the focal length of the "tube" lens in your widget? Not negative is it?

Difficult to determine at this point in time. I may need to purchase a Retort Stand & Clamp to enable me to position the piece accurately until an appropriate threaded adapter sleeve can be configered.

However, if I look through from an objective opening on the turret (with the objective removed and just using the tube lense) everything looks smaller.....?

Craig
ChrisR
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smaller - negative lens perhaps like a teleconverter, to expand the middle of the view? A comparaor projects the image onto a screen. M do list finite objectives. Perhaps it's for those.
Craig Gerard

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chris,

When looking through the rear of the item straight down the tube lense (which is what a DSLR would see), everything is bigger....by a factor of? (still trying to determine the answer to that) appears to approximately 2X

Craig
Craig Gerard

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I now have this gizmo attached to a DSLR using part of an M42 to T-Mount adapter for the interface.

Mitutoyo M Plan 5X Apo objective, PB-4 bellows at minimum extension, total extension sensor to objective shoulder 220mm, FOV = 2.8mm on the Canon 50D.

Attaching an Olympus variable extension tube (see image below), at minimum extension, total distance from sensor to objective shoulder is 220mm, FOV = 2.8mm.

To be 5X @ sensor using a 5X objective, a FOV of 4.4mm would be expected, so the amount of extension indicated above is pushing the objective beyond 5X.

(see setup image #3 of this post)

The gizmo does not appear to be providing any significant advantages when compared to other methods used with infinity-corrected objectives, in so far as tube lenses are concerned.

The turret makes it easy to alternate between objectives; minor adjustments to achieve correct focus are required.

If anyone has advice or suggestions that may be worthwhile exploring feel free to respond.

This image shows the setup with the amount of extension required to achieve the correct FOV for various objectives.
The gizmo's onboard tube lense' rear element is 55mm from the sensor. The distance between sensor and objective shoulder, in this arrangement, is 160mm.

Craig
enricosavazzi

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 3:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The same (or a very similar) Mitutoyo nosepiece seems to be shown in actual use here:

eBay item 110550342770
Craig Gerard

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 3:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Enrico,

I took the first image displayed in the listing indicated and raised the brightness in the 'shadows' to see if it revealed more detail. I still can't quite work out what is going on with that item. There appear to be two illumination ports.....notice the spot of light on the edge of the coin in image number 3 of the listing?

I haven't tried anything with the illumination port on the unit I have; but there is a beam-splitter inside.

Craig
enricosavazzi

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 7:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Craig Gerard wrote:
Enrico,

I took the first image displayed in the listing indicated and raised the brightness in the 'shadows' to see if it revealed more detail. I still can't quite work out what is going on with that item. There appear to be two illumination ports.....notice the spot of light on the edge of the coin in image number 3 of the listing?

I haven't tried anything with the illumination port on the unit I have; but there is a beam-splitter inside.

Craig

Yes, the picture is not very clear, but it seems there are two fiberoptic bundles connected to the system. One feeds into the beam splitter of the nosepiece (probably to provide incident light illumination), the other feeds into a more complex device (centerable beam splitter?) at the rear of the nosepiece, perhaps to feed a laser beam and focus it onto the center of the subject field (this is used for certain types of micromachining). The illumination beam does not need to be perfectly collimated, but the laser beam should be, and for this reason should pass also through the tube lens.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.photomacrography.net Forum Index -> Equipment Discussions All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: