good day from Canada

Lets get to know each other better. Here's a forum to post images and short autobiographies of ourselves as well as any other info you would like to post about yourself.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

Martin G.

good day from Canada

Post by Martin G. »

Hello all,

Been reading you guys for a while now, a lot of amazing information.

I am trying to get into higher magnification photography, so I have much to learn.

See you soon!

Martin

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Post by rjlittlefield »

Welcome aboard, Martin!

This is definitely the place to come for high mag photography.

What are your main interests, and what area of photography are you coming from?

--Rik

Martin G.

Post by Martin G. »

Hello Rik,

Thank you for the welcome!

I am more of a field type + hand held type of guy as far as my pictures go (arthropods in general are my interest). But, as most know, Canada has long winters... so I thought some studio fun could help waiting until spring!

I have been reading this forum for quite some time, but I have to admit it is quite intimidating at first (even still is even if I am starting to understand more). I have felt my brains melting on more than one occasion trying to understand some of the amazing info that is out here. :D

recently I have bought a Nikon E plan LWD (that seems to perform awfully) and one of my friends also lent me another Nikon finite objective, but I have not a lot of info on it, I will try to post some pictures of it when I get a chance. Since I have very little money invested in my 10x gear, I think I might go with the infinty objective that I have seen you use with success.

Right now my problem is that I have no micro railing set up. I am hoping to purchase a Stackshot set up. Also, since I am already using Zerene and work with Canon (a 50D) I am very interested to see when your new profesionnal version will become available.

Aside from my 50D, my gear is the MPE 65mm which gets the most usage and I also have the 100mm L and the EFS 60mm macro.

All the best

Martin

PS: English is not my first language, I am francophone, so I apologize if sometimes my sentences may be worded strangely

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Post by rjlittlefield »

since I am already using Zerene
"Martin G" -- sorry, I did not connect the names! It is fascinating to me how many people I know from both photomacrography.net and zerenesystems.com but don't manage to make the connection. ](*,) But it doesn't really matter, and actually I work hard to keep those two parts of my life separate.

ZS with a StackShot interface is available now as a public beta. Just contact support@zerenesystems.com for access info.

Regarding the 10X setup, if someplace in your gear there is a telephoto lens whose longest FL is in the range of 135 to 200 mm, then I expect you will be very pleased with the Nikon CFI 10X NA 0.25. It is my current "go to" lens in that range.

Alternatively, if you have a bellows but no suitable telephoto, then you might consider either the Nikon CF N 10X NA 0.30 (available used) or the Nikon Finite Conjugate Objective 10X NA 0.25 (new manufacture available from Edmund Optics). The CF N has slightly better resolution, but the Finite Conjugate and the CFI have substantially larger fields that allow them to be pushed down to 7X while still covering a 1.6 crop sensor.

Test reports on these lenses can be found HERE and HERE.

Again, welcome to photomacrography.net. Yeah, I know this place can get pretty intimidating, but rest assured that we're friendly. If we get to speaking too much "geek", ask us to translate.

--Rik

Martin G.

Post by Martin G. »

Rik,

Thank you for the suggestions and the links, I had found them before and have read them more than once in the past.

I have nothing longer than my 100mm in my kit, I never use telephoto. But the one you used (55-200) can be purchased for very cheap used, so I might just do that. But right now my priority is a solid rail.

Currently I use extension tubes with the cone adapter.

If I do get the stack shot, I will surely contact you back for the program.

Thank you for all the help

Martin

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic