www.photomacrography.net :: View topic - Got wrong item: CF Plan 50X/0.55 inf/ EPI ELWD any use?
www.photomacrography.net Forum Index
An online community dedicated to the practices of photomacrography, close-up and macro photography, and photomicrography.
Photomacrography Front Page Amateurmicrography Front Page
Old Forums/Galleries

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Got wrong item: CF Plan 50X/0.55 inf/ EPI ELWD any use?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.photomacrography.net Forum Index -> Equipment Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pludder

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2010 3:59 am    Post subject: Got wrong item: CF Plan 50X/0.55 inf/ EPI ELWD any use? Reply with quote

Hi,
I got shipped the wrong item by an ebay seller, I was buying an M Plan 40x elwd finite, and got shipped a 50X 0.55 infinity EPI ELWD.

I know that 40x allready is pushing it, but would this lens be any use for extreme macro, has anybody tried?

The infinity correction obviuosly will prove a problem, but I seem to have seen that some people are using infinities with an extra camera lens as correction, correct?
(I have an assortment of standard SLR lenses macro and not).

Also, is the EPI designation a problem, I can't find the post where someone explained this, I just recall that one type of lens had bad properties for photo use, and another was just higher quality elements?

What would the relative values be for the lenses, does anyone have a feeling? There were very few listed on ebay (none sold, but the prices were much higher than what I paid).

Obviously I'm going to have a word with the seller, just trying to get a handle on my options.
pludder

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2010 7:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok found it, the ok variant I was thinking about was DIC.
Are EPI lenses for fluorescent microscopy and so rubbish for macro photography?
rjlittlefield
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2010 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

EPI is ok too. It just means that the objective is designed for light to be sent out through the lens or through other channels to illuminate the specimen, while light from the specimen comes back into the lens as usual to form an image. If there are channels, you will have to block those with something opaque. I have used black velvet and black rubber O-rings.

Many EPI lenses also have wider mounts, so you may have trouble finding a commercial adapter. However, alignment is not critical when you are mounting an infinity objective in front of a telephoto. Modifying a lens cap can be a good do-it-yourself solution. See HERE for ideas.

I have used 40X NA 0.5 ELWD with good success (HERE, images 2-4) but I have no experience with 50X NA 0.55. My biggest concern would be working distance, second would be CA correction if it is not a Nikon or Mitutoyo.

I have no idea about price, sorry. Since you have the lens in hand, maybe the best thing is to try it, decide what it's worth to you, then see if you and the seller can reach some mutual agreement.

--Rik
pludder

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2010 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, thanks for the reply, sorry realized that I didn't write the brand of the lens, yes it's a Nikon CF Plan 50X/0.55 inf/0 EPI ELWD, wd is 8.7 mm

The mount is at least RMS so my adapters fit, will have to try it, but I never used an infinite before so need to experiment with lenses.

/Per
rjlittlefield
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2010 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pludder wrote:
yes it's a Nikon CF Plan 50X/0.55 inf/0 EPI ELWD, wd is 8.7 mm

Interesting! I had checked a couple of lists of current Nikon objectives (HERE and HERE), and I didn't find a 50X/0.55 among them. Now I wonder what series that lens is from, and where I would find a description & picture of it.

--Rik
Craig Gerard

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2010 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could be this one? (but ELWD version)

Image Here

Craig
pludder

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2010 4:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah that looks exactly like my lens
PauloM

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2010 6:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Found a new one for sale here

Quote:

The Nikon CF Plan EPI ELWD 50X Objective is an Infinity-Corrected objective with a working distance of 8.70mm. It has a Physical Depth of Focus of 0.91mm, making it suitable for rough surfaces. The Numerical Aperture is 0.55, and is suitable for Nikons CF Series and well as the Optiphot 150, 200 and 300. These are NEW in factory packaging, and I am selling them at 60% of Nikons price.

That company has 5 for sale new, at $1,200 each.

As stated on the website, these objectives were used on the later versions of the reflected-light Optiphot, for material inspection, after they made the move from 210mm tube length to the infinity design. I don't know if they share the same 200mm tube lens as the current CFI objectives.
ChrisR
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2010 6:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I have a spare M Plan 40x elwd, and I'd be happy to swap...
ChrisLilley

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2010 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Will be interested to hear of your results. What 200mm-ish lenses do you have available to test it with?
pludder

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2010 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not very much I'm afraid (around 200 mm). That's a hole in my lens line up.
I have a tamron 90/2.8 macro and a 105/4 micronikkor as well as some converters. I could borrow my brothers nikkor 180/2.8 and test that (72mm front thread so a bit messier).
Going upwards I have a 300/2.8, very cumbersome of course, and the magnification would be a handful.

It was actually very easy to attach the lens to the front of the micronikkor since I have an RMS adapter with a female 52mm thread (usually takes a nikon BR2A to make it into an F-bayonet), I just used a macro coupler (male 52-> male 52) to screw it on.

A quick test with the 105/4 gave strong vignetting, but I will try moving the 50x closer to the front lens of the 105/4.

Does anyone know what the "perfect" properties would be for the lens to use? I feel that I don't understand what exactly the requirements would be beyond that 200mm should match the magnification?

Thanks for your help and interest.

/Per
pludder

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2010 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi ChrisR, that could be an option if I in the end feel that it just won't work for my interests. For now I think I will hang on to the lens for a while and see what I can make of it just for the fun of it / unknown potential.
rjlittlefield
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2010 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pludder wrote:
Does anyone know what the "perfect" properties would be for the lens to use?

Aside from vignetting, I have not seen a bad report for any telephoto lens. Using this objective will effectively stop down the telephoto to about f/45, so there's not much chance for lens aberrations to cause problems.

The issue with vignetting is entirely due to size and placement of the telephoto's entrance pupil. You want a lens whose aperture appears to be as far forward as you can get, and then be sure to run it wide open.

--Rik
pludder

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2010 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, thanks for the info, good to hear that the matching isn't very critical, I must read up more on others tests and experiments in the links.

I'll see what I can borrow as far as lenses go from friends. Also I need to improve my equipment setup to handle the magnification better, I have some steel plate I have planned to make a base out of with a bit of drilling and tapping.
Bob^3

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2010 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pludder wrote:
Does anyone know what the "perfect" properties would be for the lens to use? I feel that I don't understand what exactly the requirements would be beyond that 200mm should match the magnification?

I can not provide an answer with your specific inf objective. But I have achieved excellent results on my D700 (FX, full frame sensor) with the Nikon CFI Plan Achromat 10x NA 0.25 attached to the front of a Nikkor 200mm AI f/4 prime telephoto lens:

http://www.photomacrography.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=11391&highlight=10x+cfi

And to repeat Rik's lnk:
http://www.photomacrography.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=9664&start=0

The manual focus 200mm/4 AI (and the AI-S version) is very highly rated for optical quality and can be found on eBay for less than $100 (mine was $35). It has the advantage of being relatively compact and light weight. For least chance of vignetting, I would recommend prime lenses for this use. My one zoom lens in this range, an old 75-300mm Af-D, vignettes wide open at all focal length settings, with the CFI 10x/0.25.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.photomacrography.net Forum Index -> Equipment Discussions All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: