Howdy from a newbie

Lets get to know each other better. Here's a forum to post images and short autobiographies of ourselves as well as any other info you would like to post about yourself.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

ptschantz

Howdy from a newbie

Post by ptschantz »

in the truest sense. New to the board and photography. In researching starting points I have been absolutely fascinated with macro work. So here I am.

I'll be starting with a 35mm SLR in the next couple weeks, still haven't decided if I'll stick with film (likely) or move to digital. I'm a software developer and wouldn't mind as little computer use off hours as possible ;-)

Anyway, just thought I'd say hi. I'm still reading through a lot of the info here.

Pete

NikonUser

Post by NikonUser »

Welcome.
Re-think the "stick with film". If you get into macro you will probably get into stacking and you will need to be digital.
NU.
student of entomology
Quote – Holmes on ‘Entomology’
” I suppose you are an entomologist ? “
” Not quite so ambitious as that, sir. I should like to put my eyes on the individual entitled to that name.
No man can be truly called an entomologist,
sir; the subject is too vast for any single human intelligence to grasp.”
Oliver Wendell Holmes, Sr
The Poet at the Breakfast Table.

Nikon camera, lenses and objectives
Olympus microscope and objectives

ptschantz

Post by ptschantz »

yep, I'm rapidly getting the idea that digital is the way to go. I'll at least be able to get a start, until tax time. Plus, I'll have plenty of time to decide on a first digi rig.

thanks!

Harold Gough

Post by Harold Gough »

Starting photography with macro is really going in at the deep end. You would benefit, in terms of understanding and skill, by first, or at least concurrently, engaging in more general photography.

When it comes to affordability, if that is an issue, film cameras, lenses and accesssories can be obtained at a tiny fraction of the cost of equivalent digital ones (where those exist). You may also find that there is some difficulty in obtaining recent digital SLRS with features such as an optical viewfinder or a cable release socket.

Harold
My images are a medium for sharing some of my experiences: they are not me.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic