Nosepiece query

Starting out in microscopy? Post images and ask questions relating to the microscope and get answers from our more advanced users on the subject.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

Cyclops

Nosepiece query

Post by Cyclops »

My student microscope has a triple nosepiece which is now full. I have a 4th objective for it tho but would I be able to get any 4 hole nosepiece from a mono scope to fit it?

Thanks
Larry
Canon 5D and 30D | Canon IXUS 265HS | Cosina 100mm f3.5 macro | EF 75-300 f4.5-5.6 USM III | EF 50 f1.8 II | Slik 88 tripod | Apex Practicioner monocular microscope

Ken Ramos

Post by Ken Ramos »

It would probably take a bit of searching round there Larry but I would guess that you could come across one that may fit, they are not uncommon. :D

Cyclops

Post by Cyclops »

Thanks Ken. I have sen a few on Ebay, some with 5 holes, but nbever sure they would fit mine. Is there a standard for nosepieces like there is for objectives?

I wont be getting one for a while tho, not with the big man in the red and white suit due to appear soon!;)
Canon 5D and 30D | Canon IXUS 265HS | Cosina 100mm f3.5 macro | EF 75-300 f4.5-5.6 USM III | EF 50 f1.8 II | Slik 88 tripod | Apex Practicioner monocular microscope

Ken Ramos

Post by Ken Ramos »

I really don't know if there is a standard for them or not. The only thing I could suggest is to measure the diameter of the nose turrent and compare it to that which you want to order. Also be sure of your objectives threading in relation to the nose turrent. If you have DIN objectives the nose turrent will have to accept that thread. :D

Cyclops

Post by Cyclops »

Oh the old DIN/RMS deal again! As far as I could work out DIN is RMS, or a form of. Oh its so confusing!

Charles Krebs

Post by Charles Krebs »

There is very little standardization between nosepieces. With some research (and "up") microscopes the nosepiece ids designed to be removed and quickly replaced with another. But as far as I know each manufacturers piece is different. Most "medium" and lower priced microscopes have fixed nosepieces.

Sometimes manufacturers with "fixed" nosepieces will offer a lower priced model that will carry 3 objectives, and the same stand in a higher priced model that will carry 4 or 5. While these are not readily interchangeable you might be able to make a changeover if it is available and you can get your hands on one.

Both DIN (Deutsche Industrie Normen) and JIS (Japanese Industry Standard) use the same thread on the objectives -- 0.7965" diameter, 36 TPI, 55° Whitworth threading (aka RMS thread). So from that standpoint they will fit the same nosepiece.

From practical point of view the biggest difference is that a DIN objective has a distance of 45mm from the shoulder of the nosepiece thread to the subject and the JIS has a distance of 30mm. So if you put a DIN objective on a microscope designed for JIS you will need to lower the stage an additional 15mm in order to focus. If you put a JIS objective on a microscope designed for DIN objective the stage will need to be raised 15mm more than "normal" to focus. In some cases the stage might not have the additional "travel" to accommodate this. And if it does, you need to be careful when using a mixture of JIS and DIN on the same nosepiece as it becomes easy to inadvertently smash an objective into the slide when you "rotate" from a JIS to a (physically longer) DIN objective.

(There is a 10mm difference in "tube length"... DIN=160mm and JIS=170mm. Unless you use a pretty high end, high magnification objective, with a large numerical aperture, this should not impact the image much. There will be some difference from the marked magnification if an objective is used on a microscope with the other standard.)

Cyclops

Post by Cyclops »

Thanks Charles, I noticed with the 4X obj. I have to raise the tube up considerably to focus and the entrance pupil was very close to the stage so I presume it came from a scope with a tube length of 170mm and mine is 160.
Does that make it a JIS?
Havent tried the 20 yet.

Charles Krebs

Post by Charles Krebs »

The 4X is DIN. You need a greater distance between the shoulder of the nosepiece "hole" and the subject... 45mm for DIN vs 30mm for JIS. If this distance is larger with the 4X (by about 15mm) than with your other objectives, then your microscope is likely JIS.

(There are scopes that don't exactly conform to either standard which is why I say "likely")

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic