Black Cardoman

Images taken in a controlled environment or with a posed subject. All subject types.

Moderators: Chris S., Pau, rjlittlefield, ChrisR

mbcx4jrh

Black Cardoman

Post by mbcx4jrh »

Well it's more brown than black, but was an interesting study in focus stacking.
Stacked with Zerene, 47 slices, using ebay macro rail and a really dodgy tripod.

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Post by rjlittlefield »

Result looks good!

For my taste, the image might be improved with some fill lighting from the right, to lighten up those deep shadows enough to show a bit of detail. But that is a matter of taste. Other people will prefer it this way.

As usual with stacked images of unfamiliar subjects, I have no idea how big this thing is. How big is it?

Also as usual, I am curious about technical aspects of your setup. What camera and lens arrangement did you use?

And finally, a question of perceptions. You mentioned that this was an "interesting study". I'm curious -- what aspect(s) did you find most interesting?

--Rik

mbcx4jrh

Post by mbcx4jrh »

I used a D300 with a sigma 150mm macro lens. The image is mostly uncropped in width, and magnification was at about 1:1.2.

The fill light was interesting, as I started with the set up as you describe. However the resulting stack looked less interesting as there was a lot of detail but no feeling of depth. So I rotated it and dropped the fill to get some shadows.

The final image was lit using a speed light in a homemade 12" soft box.

It was an interesting study because it was one I did several times. Getting the lighting right, then working out number of slices (ie guessing). I probably overdid the slices (final image was at f/5.6, I think), but I did have a few stacks that were just not fine enough.

I also learnt how awful my tripod is for this kind of thing. Guess i need to get something better.