My vertical macro setup (and reflected X pol discussions)

Have questions about the equipment used for macro- or micro- photography? Post those questions in this forum.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

Chris S.
Site Admin

Post by Chris S. »

Pau, your English is excellent--far better than my own abilities in the foreign languages I've studied. No need to apologize.

Thanks much for the detailed images of your polarizer mounts. I love it that you showed one disassembled. I'll now do something very similar in making my own. (Cool that now I can even see the burned spot in the middle of your polarizer--though not so cool that it happened to you in the first place. But it's something I'll definitely know now to try and avoid.)
Pau wrote:I don't see the need of remove the analyzer to focus, with fiber optic guides you may have enough light, and also be aware that removing the filter can change a little the focusing point (with non infinite objectives) and the smaller movement of the setup when doing that would also alter it.
You're probably right, at least for lower magnifications up through 10x. But I've been having trouble getting enough light to focus with higher magnifications (especially 40x-60x). Of course, part of the problem is that I've generally been using ping pong ball or other diffusion, which blocks a lot of the light, and which I obviously won't be using with cross pol lighting. And I will soon be trying fiber optic lighting for the first time--maybe it will be much brighter than my current focusing light. Fingers crossed, anyway.
My illuminator is a Dolan-Jenner 180 (an old, simple and robust model). It doesn't have any filter. Glass fiber optics cuts off almost all UV radiation (I tested mine with an spectrophotometer in a physics lab) but transmits a large fraction of IR. I'm not sure if the damage of the filters was caused for IR or visible light concentrated in one small spot, in any case I already had the filter at home...
This is very useful information for me, as I have a Dolan-Jenner 180 on its way (a loan). I also purchased a Fostec-Schott Ace 1. And as said earlier, I plan also to build my own to incorporate a powerful flash. So I'll need to check the Fostec for IR filtration, probably need to retrofit the DJ unit for it, and definitely need to include it in my homebrew unit.

Thanks again--and again, very helpful information for me,

Cheers,

--Chris

New_Enthusiast

Adapter

Post by New_Enthusiast »

Hello,

Pau, thank you very much for sharing your equipment setup. It inspired me to purchase the same Nikon 10x CFI. I also have a 70-200 lens and I am wondering if you can offer any additional information about the adapter(s) that you used to attache the Nikon 10x to the front of your 70-200mm lens. I ordered some step-down adapters and http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 3266wt_951 adapter, but it does not work with the Nikon objective, even though that is what is shown in the photo on that page (from here: http://www.photomacrography.net/forum/v ... php?t=9664)

Thanks for your help!

Craig Gerard

Post by Craig Gerard »

NE,

Welcome to the forum.

Regarding the adapter, try here: (same seller, different adapter, one of the images in the listing for item#140436592235 can be somewhat misleading)
http://cgi.ebay.com/Nikon-CFI-M25-micro ... 0287554493

Craig
To use a classic quote from 'Antz' - "I almost know exactly what I'm doing!"

New_Enthusiast

Post by New_Enthusiast »

Thank you for the very quick response! I will have to go ahead and order the other adapter. The wait is going to kill me!

Marpee

Post by Marpee »

Dear Pau,
this setup is great and look works fine. I hope to have not issues with my 5DmkII. Do you think I might have vignetting?

Pau
Site Admin

Post by Pau »

Marpee wrote:.... I hope to have not issues with my 5DmkII. Do you think I might have vignetting?
I don't know for sure because I only use 1.6 crop Canon cameras, but I think it would be OK: at 150mm the image in my setup is fine up to the borders, (150mm in my camera is roughly equivalent to 200mm in yours), and some members use this objective at shorter focal lenghs with other lenses (Rik with a 135mm and Joaquim even at 105mm).
Perhaps you could need to crop a little the image borders, and, in the worst case, if you crop the image to equal my APSc sensor, you still will have an excellent 8MP camera (my 8MP 20D has a pixel size similar to the 5DmkII).
Pau

Marpee

Post by Marpee »

Your answer is very useful. Thanks a lot.

Pau
Site Admin

Post by Pau »

Glad if it can help :) . Please read this recent post, in special the Bob comments
http://www.photomacrography.net/forum/v ... hp?t=11391
Pau

Marpee

Post by Marpee »

Pau wrote:Glad if it can help :) . Please read this recent post, in special the Bob comments
http://www.photomacrography.net/forum/v ... hp?t=11391
Your help is great! :)

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic