Damselfly Head

Starting out in microscopy? Post images and ask questions relating to the microscope and get answers from our more advanced users on the subject.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

scitch

Damselfly Head

Post by scitch »

I caught a damselfly today in my front yard. The lowest magnification objective I have is 4X and the eyepiece with my phototube is 10X. 40X is too high magnification for a damselfly. So, I did two stacks of the left and right sides of its head and tried to piece them together. Unfortunately, it must have rotated when moving in between stacks, so there are chunks missing. There are lots of hot pixel streaks and only a couple of sensor dust streaks.

My biggest breakthrough on this one was that I set up a ping pong ball diffuser correctly this time. It was mounted on the microscope objective and the lights were shone through it. But I had two different lights. The fluorescent light on the right gave much better color than the desktop illuminator on the left. Some of the glare on the eyes came from reflection off of the microscope stage. I covered the stage with paper towels to diffuse it and it got better, but still not good.

So, I see this as not very good, but a step in the right direction. I could have made the focus steps much smaller, but I'm not sure that it would have helped much at 4X.

Mike

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic