www.photomacrography.net :: View topic - My First Stentor
www.photomacrography.net Forum Index
An online community dedicated to the practices of photomacrography, close-up and macro photography, and photomicrography.
Photomacrography Front Page Amateurmicrography Front Page
Old Forums/Galleries

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
My First Stentor

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.photomacrography.net Forum Index -> Beginners Micro
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mitch640

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 8:35 am    Post subject: My First Stentor Reply with quote

Found this in the jar of water I got at the Mississippi River the other day. I had looked all over this drop of water and didn't see anything but this one big urn looking thing sitting by itself. Then, after looking over the whole slide, I went back to the urn, and there was this stentor attached to it, and a paramecium swimming around near it too. I only got one blurred shot of that though.

All of these were edited for levels, brightness and auto color. They had a real blue cast to them.

Bob Ballantyne

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is probaby Stentor coeruleus whose blue pigment stentorin is related to the species negative phototaxic reaction to light and as a defensive mechanism.

This species has been observed and reported in research (and I have personally observed this) to expel its pigment when in contact with an "enemy."

This is a sort of microscopic life version of a squid's defensive mechanism.

Bob Ballantyne
Mitch640

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the ID Bob. He became free swimming as the water started to dry up, but I did not notice any squidlike fluid release while watching. He was pretty active the whole time though.
Bob Ballantyne

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Below is a photo I took of a Stentor in the water sample where I observed one releasing stentorin into the water after being bumped by a larval cyclops.

Obviously the color's not as good as in your photo. This was lifted from a video image.

Bob B

Mitch640

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It looks like a faint liquid in liquid cloud shadow near the mouth?

I did see mine lose what I thought at the time was one of it's lips. A big piece of material peeled off just below the cilea line and floated away. But it was solid, not a fluid at all. Very strange to watch. Here is a video of this stentor and it shows it ingesting a diatom, but I must have missed the lip coming off.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qXK0ePLA6nE

As for the colors in mine, I did a lot to clean up small junk in the water near it, and the color probably isn't right at all. Smile
Bob Ballantyne

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the cloud you are referring to is blurred cilia. This was not from a high shutter speed still shot but rather lifted from a video.

Also, they only expel the blue pigment when "attacked."

Nice video of yours. I'm sure you noted that Paramecium swimming around.

My photos from a water sample from a Pennsylvania lake.

Bob B
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.photomacrography.net Forum Index -> Beginners Micro All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: