Canon 40D

Have questions about the equipment used for macro- or micro- photography? Post those questions in this forum.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

RogelioMoreno

Canon 40D

Post by RogelioMoreno »

Hi,

As the Canon 50D price is going down, I think the 40D price is going to be very good (new or used). I would like to know if the 40D has the silent feature during live view shooting. I have a 450D and I do not like the mirror down-up after each shoot, I hear that the 40D has two motor and the mirror down-up does not occur during live view shooting.

Rogelio

Charles Krebs

Post by Charles Krebs »

Rogelio,

The 40D does have a separate mirror and shutter motors, and it does have a selectable "silent mode". One difference is that the 50D will automatically reopen the first shutter curtain and return to live view mode directly after an exposure. With the 40D the shutter remains closed and you need to press the shutter release 1/2 way to open the first shutter curtain and return to live-view after taking an exposure. (But I'm nearly certain there is no mirror cycling occurring).

RogelioMoreno

Post by RogelioMoreno »

Charles,

Thank you for your answer.
Charles Krebs wrote: With the 40D the shutter remains closed and you need to press the shutter release 1/2 way to open the first shutter curtain and return to live-view after taking an exposure. (But I'm nearly certain there is no mirror cycling occurring).
Do you know if the shutter remains closed after a shooting when you are using the EOS utility to shoot with live view?

Rogelio

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic