www.photomacrography.net :: View topic - Olympus UIS UPlanFL PlanFluorite 10X
www.photomacrography.net Forum Index
An online community dedicated to the practices of photomacrography, close-up and macro photography, and photomicrography.
Photomacrography Front Page Amateurmicrography Front Page
Old Forums/Galleries

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Olympus UIS UPlanFL PlanFluorite 10X

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.photomacrography.net Forum Index -> Equipment Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
geetee50

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2012 3:38 pm    Post subject: Olympus UIS UPlanFL PlanFluorite 10X Reply with quote

Hi All,
I’ve been contemplating the Olympus UIS UPlanFL 10X 0.30 as an option for micro photography, has any one used this lens? it's around the £250 mark, so would be great to know if this was as good or better than the Nikon CF range as that was my next choice, thanks in advance Gary
BugEZ

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a UPlanFL OLY infinity 10X .3 lens and am very satisfied. I found it on sale and got it new for considerably less than 250 UK pounds... I'll post a photo of the lens this evening and the particulars of the transaction. The working distance is about 10mm which is OK. I mount it to a 200mm F4 Pentax telephoto via the usual adapters. I have a diaphragm behind the objective, but after adjusting (mentally that is) to the stack size needed with it wide open (very small step sizes) I seldom stop it down. My camera is not full frame so I can't speculate about how well it will focus at the corner of a FF sensor.

I used it for the photo in the "Crane fly with green eyes" posting in the technical and studio forum. The posted image is not as sharp as the full resolution JPG which I would be happy to send via e-mail.

Keith
Charles Krebs

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gary,

The newer Olympus Plan Fluorite objectives (like the one you reference here) appear be be excellent. Olympus calls them "semi-apochromatic". They are more highly color corrected than regular "plan achromats", but not quite to the level of a Plan Apo. However, the typical 10X Plan Apo (Mitutoyo excepted) will not have adequate working distance for much of the usage we do here. This 10X has a working distance of 10mm which is workable.

I don't have this 10X but I do have a 5X Plan Fluorite and find it to be an excellent performer.
geetee50

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 4:17 pm    Post subject: lens Reply with quote

Thanks guys this sounds ideal although if i can get it for less than my current price would be great , thanks Keith please send the pics to Geetee50@hotmail.com

Gary
BugEZ

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here are the details of my purchase:

Paid on Aug-24-11 Price: $208.00, Qty: 1
FedEx Ground or FedEx Home Delivery $17.00
Total paid $225

The objective was new and in the origional box.

I'll email the photo.

Keith
geetee50

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 3:22 am    Post subject: Olympus UIS UPlanFL Reply with quote

Thanks Keith, i see yours lens has the symbols UM Plan and the one i see is U Plan, makes me think yours is superior having the M, do you know what these symbols stand for, i could guess the M.

Email stacks are very impressive.

Gary
BugEZ

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, I am not certain what the UM stands for. At the time when I purchased it, I did some web research and perusaded myself that this lens would be OK for bugs. It has proven to be quite good. Good luck with your purchase!

Keith
Charles Krebs

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The "U" is simply part of the Olympus overall name for their objectives (UIS...Universal Infinity System). I think earlier ones omitted the "U" on the objectives, current production has it.

The "M" designation is indicates a line of objectives meant to be used on industrial microscopes, typically with opaque subjects that have no cover slips ("Metallurgical"). For insects and things that would be a good choice, since the "biological" objectives are intended to be used with a 0.17mm cover slip. However, at the numerical apertures of typical 10X objectives (as with the 0.30 here) the negative effect of using it without a 0.17mm cover slip will be very small... probably not noticeable at all. (With higher power, higher NA objectives it does become a real concern however). If given a choice (for bellows and "bugs") I would choose the "M", but if a good deal presented itself on a biological one (non-M) it should provide great results.

(The 5X I use is an "M" as well)
geetee50

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 2:32 pm    Post subject: olympus Reply with quote

Sorry i missed this post charles, thanks very much, i've since found one a lot cheaper so popped back for a re read.

cheers Gary
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.photomacrography.net Forum Index -> Equipment Discussions All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: