Eyes on the Prize

Earlier images, not yet re-categorized. All subject types. Not for new images.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

Mike B in OKlahoma

Eyes on the Prize

Post by Mike B in OKlahoma »

This captive Diana Guenon (monkey) had wonderfully expressive eyes

180mm macro lens
cropped to pano
offensive flash highlights edited out
Mike Broderick
Oklahoma City, OK, USA

Constructive critiques of my pictures, and reposts in this forum for purposes of critique are welcome

"I must obey the inscrutable exhortations of my soul....My mandate includes weird bugs."
--Calvin

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Post by rjlittlefield »

Somehow I find this photo to be profoundly disturbing.

I don't mind being disturbed, by the way. It beats being afraid I might not care.

What's the story about this primate, anyway? Did it seem to be generally content with its lot in life, and you just caught it at a pensive moment?

--Rik

Mike B in OKlahoma

Post by Mike B in OKlahoma »

Hi Rik!

It's funny, I'd have sworn you referred to one of my pictures as disturbing before, but after spending an absurd amount of time using the search function here and on the old site, I only found one reference (under a snake shot entitled "camoflage" on the old site) where you said the shot wouldn't disturb your sleep at all (because the snake was too well-disguised to be recognizable.

There were a couple of these monkeys in one of the local zoos. One of them, according to the placard with them, was born in 1966 and is the oldest primate at the zoo (I am tempted to call the zoo manager and ask if truly ALL of his employees are under 40!). This monkey looks like the oldest one to me (admittedly I'm not a pro at guessing the age of even humans, let alone other primates). So it may be an age thing.

She, and the others of this species, seemed reasonably happy, they were moving around regularly, did not do the repetitive pacing of some captive animals that indicates they are a bit loopy, and frequently came up to the front glass of their enclosure to see what the funny-looking humans were up to. She and all of them, were nightmares to shoot, because they never stay still! Since I had a DOF of less than half an inch (wild guess, not calculated) this made the shot a tough one to get. I'd guess I tried forty shots of basically this type on different monkeys, and perhaps three or four of them aren't significantly out of focus in at least part of the subject.

Seemed like a reasonably content monkey to me, and if my guess that she's the aged one is correct, she's lived a full life.

I'll try to keep disturbing you in a good way! :-)
Mike Broderick
Oklahoma City, OK, USA

Constructive critiques of my pictures, and reposts in this forum for purposes of critique are welcome

"I must obey the inscrutable exhortations of my soul....My mandate includes weird bugs."
--Calvin

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Post by rjlittlefield »

Mike,

I believe you're remembering this old post, where I said that your reticulated python "frightens" me. It still does, by the way. Nice picture.

Thanks for the added info about this monkey. I'm glad to hear that she seems to be at home, at the zoo. From the picture, I feared otherwise.

--Rik

Ken Ramos

Post by Ken Ramos »

A deeply thought provoking image here Mike and one that is refreshing to see here on the forums. Your perseverance in capturing this shot really paid off, excellent work. :D

beetleman

Post by beetleman »

After staring into her eyes for a while it seems that the white above the eyes makes it look like she has a different expression and emotion than see is really expressing. If you made them darker, I am sure they would convey a different emotion IMO. Wonderful thought provoking picture Mike.
Take Nothing but Pictures--Leave Nothing but Footprints.
Doug Breda

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic