www.photomacrography.net :: View topic - The lowly tomato (movie added)
www.photomacrography.net Forum Index
An online community dedicated to the practices of photomacrography, close-up and macro photography, and photomicrography.
Photomacrography Front Page Amateurmicrography Front Page
Old Forums/Galleries

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
The lowly tomato (movie added)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.photomacrography.net Forum Index -> Technical and Studio Photography -- Macro and Close-up
View previous topic :: View next topic  
elf

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2010 9:08 pm    Post subject: The lowly tomato (movie added) Reply with quote

can be quite pretty:

This is a 2X2 focus stacked pano using a Konica Hexanon 50mm f/1.8 lens @ f/5.6. The blossom on the right started to wilt in the 4th frame, so there is a bit of smearing in the focus stack that I haven't figured out how to cure.

Last edited by elf on Thu Aug 05, 2010 11:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
rjlittlefield
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2010 9:54 pm    Post subject: Re: The lowly tomato Reply with quote

elf wrote:
can be quite pretty:

Indeed. Very nice!

Quote:
The blossom on the right started to wilt in the 4th frame, so there is a bit of smearing in the focus stack that I haven't figured out how to cure.

Retouch from individual frames, maybe? If the subject was wilting slowly enough that it's sharp frame by frame, then the smeared appearance probably results from stack output showing the petal in two or more different positions at once. By retouching from individual frames, you can visually choose where to "draw the lines" so as to eliminate duplication, probably with a modest loss of focus that would be much less noticeable.

--Rik
elf

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2010 11:52 pm    Post subject: Re: The lowly tomato Reply with quote

rjlittlefield wrote:
elf wrote:
can be quite pretty:

Indeed. Very nice!

Quote:
The blossom on the right started to wilt in the 4th frame, so there is a bit of smearing in the focus stack that I haven't figured out how to cure.

Retouch from individual frames, maybe? If the subject was wilting slowly enough that it's sharp frame by frame, then the smeared appearance probably results from stack output showing the petal in two or more different positions at once. By retouching from individual frames, you can visually choose where to "draw the lines" so as to eliminate duplication, probably with a modest loss of focus that would be much less noticeable.

--Rik

Fortunately the last frame is mostly stem, so I may be able to get a better stack by doing a set of smaller stacks. Here's a video that shows how much movement there was. The elapsed time for the video was 28 minutes (163 frames).

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v649/etfrench/?action=view&current=TomatoTime.mp4
rjlittlefield
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2010 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see what you mean. That's pretty extreme movement. I'm kind of astonished that the result looks as good as it does!

--Rik
elf

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2010 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's the revision:

Instead of trying to retouch in Zerene Stacker I did the following:
    Selected the frames for just the stems
    Imported them into Photoshop as a single layered image using the 'Load Files into Stack...'
    Cropped the image so just the stems were left
    Exported the layers to files
    Ran Zerene Stacker PMax stack on these files
    Added the output to the original stitched image
    Used the transform tool in Photoshop to align the output with the original

Zerene Stacker did a much better job of aligning the cropped images even though there was still a lot of movement in the stems. Considering the extreme amount of movement in the subject, I'm pleased with the image.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.photomacrography.net Forum Index -> Technical and Studio Photography -- Macro and Close-up All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: