RMS cap ?

Have questions about the equipment used for macro- or micro- photography? Post those questions in this forum.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

AndrewC

RMS cap ?

Post by AndrewC »

Presumably these exist ... basically a blank / cap to replace an RMS threaded objective when removed from a turret or adapter.

Can't seem to find them on eBay or anywhere so presumably I haven't found the right combination of words - something from:

RMS
Objective
Dust cover
Blank
Cap

... or what ?
rgds, Andrew

"Is that an accurate dictionary ? Charlie Eppes

Choronzon

Post by Choronzon »

Andrew, Here's what I would do. Since they're such small things that most people think are not worth listing on ebay, they don't come up often. I would ciontact any of the microscope dealers or service people there in Belgium, and ask to purchase such an item. We called them nosepiece plugs, and all new nosepieces come with them.
Here's a rather sad story of the dealership I once worked at. They had been in business for about 40 years, when they decided to sell. The new owner was a clueless corporate type, and one of the first directives he gave was to throw the 30 plus year collection of assorted dust plugs in the dumpster, as they were not inventory. This happened on a day I was in the field, so was unable to rescue them. There were several large boxes of them, so dealers do keep this sort of thing lying around. You just have to bug them for what you need.
I am not young enough to know everything.

dmillard

Post by dmillard »

Andrew -

I have three of these that I would be happy to give you. Send me a PM if you are interested, and I'll get your info.

David

AndrewC

Post by AndrewC »

dmillard wrote:Andrew -

I have three of these that I would be happy to give you. Send me a PM if you are interested, and I'll get your info.

David
Have 3 extra points on your karma rating :)

Andrew
rgds, Andrew

PaulFurman

Post by PaulFurman »

For a very special objective, track down the 'bubble' case that the old Canon 35mm bellows lens came in. It's similar to the ones for El-Nikkor enlarger lenses with female RMS thread in the base. It would be like a shrine for a microscope objective <g>. It looks a lot like one of those paperweights full of water that you shake and snow falls on a Christmas scene.

I used some firm foam packaging material to make a lens cap for my 10x objective and another for the JML. It's actually nice to have something big that won't fall over or roll around. The backs get Nikon caps on their respective adapters.

PaulFurman

Post by PaulFurman »

Here's a smaller version of the bubble cases on ebay:
Set of 5 Olympus Microscope Objective Lens Cases B.I.N. $24 I don't know what thread though.

AndrewC

Post by AndrewC »

Hi Paul,

I was talking about plugs to cap an objective mount rather than a bubble case to store an objective when unmounted :)

Same idea as a body cap for a camera.

Andrew
rgds, Andrew

PaulFurman

Post by PaulFurman »

Oh, well then how about a wine cork? <g>

AndrewC

Post by AndrewC »

PaulFurman wrote:Oh, well then how about a wine cork? <g>
Red or white ?
rgds, Andrew

Pau
Site Admin

Post by Pau »

Andrew,
If you send me a private message in september, I would send you few ones from my lab.
Pau

AndrewC

Post by AndrewC »

Pau wrote:Andrew,
If you send me a private message in september, I would send you few ones from my lab.
Thanks for the offer but David already helped me out - they arrived yesterday :)

So in the "good karma" tradition - anyone in Europe want an RMS objective storage pot ? PM me and I'll pass on one from my box of bits :)

Andrew
rgds, Andrew

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic