Joe McDonald's take on high f/stops and macro

A forum to ask questions, post setups, and generally discuss anything having to do with photomacrography and photomicroscopy.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

Mike B in OKlahoma

Joe McDonald's take on high f/stops and macro

Post by Mike B in OKlahoma »

http://hoothollow.com/Question-November ... tures.html

Joe did some thorough experiments. Rik or I could've told him about the MP-E-65 at f/16, though! We've discussed it here before, and I've posted 100% crops of shots at f/16 (set in camera, not "true" f/stop) and 5x.

I do like Joe's characterization of using the MP-E-65

"Trying to place an object the size of a golf ball in the center of a disk the size of a garbage can lid without being able to look around the lid to do so." (Joe wasn't specific, but I think he meant on the opposite side of the garbage can lid).

That sums it up pretty well! I like the lens, but as it happens I was thinking about the lens last weekend, and realized that I can't remember taking a shot with it this year!!! (never did get out for any ant photography, darnit!). Frustrating lens to use, I wonder if I was subconsciously avoiding it.
Mike Broderick
Oklahoma City, OK, USA

Constructive critiques of my pictures, and reposts in this forum for purposes of critique are welcome

"I must obey the inscrutable exhortations of my soul....My mandate includes weird bugs."
--Calvin

Erland R.N.

Post by Erland R.N. »

I have realised that for the stuff I do, mostly dragonflies from macro 1,4:1 and down to 1:4, it doesn't really matter that much for the DOF if I use f/9 or f/16. I find it much more important to place focus "the right way".
Often f/32 or the like will not make the the full sucject in focus, so what's the point in trying to achieve that.
My strategi is now to maximise aperture, using f/5.6 if that will render enough in focus at macro e.g. 1:3. But at macro 2:1 and more, well I think it's the land of stacking.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic