ostracod 'butterfly'

Images made through a microscope. All subject types.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

Litonotus

ostracod 'butterfly'

Post by Litonotus »

Yesterday I tried not to squish an ostracod, I almost succeded - it split in two and died after that.

4 image stack, 10/0,26 PZO Plan objective
my FB page

I'm looking for the the extemely rare V-IM magnification changer for the E800 scope. If you have seen a listing or have one for sale please let me know.

Mitch640

Post by Mitch640 »

I've done this to a number of cyclops too. There must be a way to look at something in a drop of water with a 10x and not need a coverslip and not get the refraction of a curved surface.

Jan l'Amie

Post by Jan l'Amie »

Use a little more water and place the cover glass very carefull.
I can even make 25x photo's from waterfleas whitout killing them.
Take a look at my picture of the living ostracod. (10x used)
There is an other way:
Create a kind of space between the object glass and the cover.
Make a little square with Typex tape or you can also make little ,,legs,, with dental wax and place the cover glass on that. So you create a kind of tiny ,,aquarium,, at your object glass. You can also buy some object glasses with a little hollow in the centre.
Byomic BYO500T microscope /CIOC XDS-1 invert.
Byomic ST-340 stereomicroscope
Olympus BHM Metallurgical Microscope
Canon EOS 7D Mark II / Canon MP-E65
Cognisys StackShot
www.ngvm.nl

Litonotus

Post by Litonotus »

here is what I usually use: I place broken coverslips around the specimen (one or two layers), give more water than usual and then put a coverslip. It works good with copepods, water fleas and larvaes and prevents them from both squishing and moving. The ostracod is too thick for that.
my FB page

I'm looking for the the extemely rare V-IM magnification changer for the E800 scope. If you have seen a listing or have one for sale please let me know.

Jan l'Amie

Post by Jan l'Amie »

I made the photo of the living ostracod whitout any extra space, only a little more water.
Byomic BYO500T microscope /CIOC XDS-1 invert.
Byomic ST-340 stereomicroscope
Olympus BHM Metallurgical Microscope
Canon EOS 7D Mark II / Canon MP-E65
Cognisys StackShot
www.ngvm.nl

Mitch640

Post by Mitch640 »

I also use a well slide, plus 4 spots of dried nail polish around it and often a cyclops will turn sideways, just as I drop the coverslip on it. :(

Litonotus

Post by Litonotus »

I heard about glycerine - You add it to water to make the orgnisms to move slower, but I only heard about that, no experimentaly confirmed results.
my FB page

Mitch640

Post by Mitch640 »

I was wondering about glycerin, as a way to get them under a liquid, but not have the bubble form to it, then you would not need a coverslip at all.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic