Amazon Pics Part 41

Earlier images, not yet re-categorized. All subject types. Not for new images.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

Moebius

Amazon Pics Part 41

Post by Moebius »

Our guide told us that the best place for poison dart frogs was to look in a type of epiphyte (a plant that grows above the ground, supported nonparasitically by another plant or object, and deriving its nutrients and water from rain, the air, dust) whose leaves formed a funnel so that water was trapped inside.

So we walk around this dark, damp jungle, tapping all the epiphytes with our monopod, hoping to see something. The whole time we are advised to keep an eye out for poisonous snakes, most commonly found were the Bushmaster and the fleur de lance.

After about 30 minutes of tapping, I finally saw a glimmer of color hop out.

At first, I didn't think it was a frog at all, because this thing was no bigger than a cricket. Several seconds after I saw it jump, I saw a very large spider come out from under the leaves and grab the frog and take it back to it's leafy home. A few seconds later, out hopped the frog as if it was no big deal. I guess even spiders don't mess with these guys.

I called our guide over and he picked it up for us to photograph. This species was not as potent as one I will show tomorrow, but the guide still only held it a short time and washed his hands thoroughly afterwards. Photos below to show size. Note the size of the frog compared to the lines of the hand

After a couple pics were taken, the guide released it on a leaf for one more pic before it hopped off.

Ken Nelson
Canon 30D
Sigma 150mm

beetleman

Post by beetleman »

:shock: Some really beautiful photos Ken, you did an excellent job of capturing the colors on these wonderful jewels of the animal kingdom. It is amazing how small they really are when you first see them. A little bit of interesting info...Captive raised poison dart frogs are no longer poisonous..scientest think they get their poison from something they eat in the wild :-k
Take Nothing but Pictures--Leave Nothing but Footprints.
Doug Breda

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Post by rjlittlefield »

Ken, this is a very very nice combo of shots! Environment and two perfectly focused and exposed closeups, one showing scale, and an interesting story to boot -- postings don't come much better than this!

--Rik

crotermund

Post by crotermund »

Beautiful pics, Ken. Do you have a shot of the spider coming out and grabbing the frog, by chance? :P
Craig Rotermund
Canon 30D
Sigma 150mm

Moebius

Post by Moebius »

Thanks Craig (crotermund)

Craig is the friend I went down to the Amazon with. He has as many good pics as I do if not more. I am hoping he will share some of his as well....Craig?

K

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic