Merismopedia - A Raft Of Cyanobacteria Cells

Images made through a microscope. All subject types.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

Mitch640

Merismopedia - A Raft Of Cyanobacteria Cells

Post by Mitch640 »

"Merismopedia is a genus of cyanobacteria found in fresh and salt water. It is ovoid or spherical in shape and arranged in rows and flats, forming rectangular colonies held together by a mucilaginous matrix. Species in this genus divide in only two directions, creating a characteristic grid-like pattern."

I have installed my new/used Phase Contrast Condenser for the Nikon Fluophot, a very rare item. I do not have any Phase objective lenses for it just yet, but can use the zero position for Brightfield and by turning the dial just off center, I can produce right or left side Oblique lighting, which has the effect of showing the shape of things better than plain brightfiled.

The video link.

1. 40x Nikon Plan Achro.

2. 60x Nikon NCG with a coverglass.

3. 60x Nikon NCG with a coverglass.

NikonUser

Post by NikonUser »

Very nice Mitch, video equally impressive. You are getting good results with both the 40x and 60x.

In case you don't know, keep an eye out for a centering telescope eyepiece. You will need one to align the phase rings when you get a phase objective.
NU.
student of entomology
Quote – Holmes on ‘Entomology’
” I suppose you are an entomologist ? “
” Not quite so ambitious as that, sir. I should like to put my eyes on the individual entitled to that name.
No man can be truly called an entomologist,
sir; the subject is too vast for any single human intelligence to grasp.”
Oliver Wendell Holmes, Sr
The Poet at the Breakfast Table.

Nikon camera, lenses and objectives
Olympus microscope and objectives

Mitch640

Post by Mitch640 »

Thanks for looking Tony. I was aware of the centering tool, but have never seen one for sale. Of course, I have never looked either. Is there any other way to do it "manually"? I suppose I should start looking. I'm just ecstatic to have found the condenser, and in not too bad condition either. :)

NikonUser

Post by NikonUser »

They turn up on ebay. Not sure that you have to have a Nikon model, seems to me that any make will work as long as it fits into 1 of the eyepiece tubes.
I tried centering the phase rings with an eyepiece removed (no CT). Supposedly can be done but I found it not possible. The phase rings have to be in perfect alignment for phase contrast.
NU.
student of entomology
” Not quite so ambitious as that, sir. I should like to put my eyes on the individual entitled to that name.

RogelioMoreno

Post by RogelioMoreno »

Mitch,

Nice video!

Nice to hear the phase condenser is in good condition.

Rogelio

Mitch640

Post by Mitch640 »

Thanks Rogelio. Yes, the lens turned out to be clear, the "fog" was just the angle of the light and the white background being reflected. It has a few scratches on the paint, but for something around 25 years old, it works very smooth. No binding at all and the iris is easy and smooth to turn. It was very clean.

I do have to retrain my fingers though, and just when I had taught them where all the knobs and adjustments were on the other condenser. :)

Charles Krebs

Post by Charles Krebs »

I was aware of the centering tool, but have never seen one for sale. Of course, I have never looked either. Is there any other way to do it "manually"?
A useful "trick" is to pull one eyepiece out (or use a spare eyepiece) and carefully hold it up, top to top (eye-lens to eye-lens) to the other eyepiece that is still inserted. Look into the back of the eyepiece you are holding and you can get a very good look at the objective rear aperture. Easy to align phase rings that way.

Mitch640

Post by Mitch640 »

Thanks Charles. I was surfing around yesterday and came upon a page that described how to do it, but I was only paying half attention and now can't find that page again. Your method sounds easy enough. I will give it a try when I buy a PH lens. :)

NikonUser

Post by NikonUser »

Charles Krebs wrote:
A useful "trick" is to pull one eyepiece out (or use a spare eyepiece) and carefully hold it up, top to top (eye-lens to eye-lens) to the other eyepiece that is still inserted. Look into the back of the eyepiece you are holding and you can get a very good look at the objective rear aperture. Easy to align phase rings that way.
Sounds great, in theory. On my BH2 I have to use both hand to twiddle the 2 centering screws (1 on the right 1 on the left) on the condenser to line up the phase rings. So holding a 2nd eyepiece up against a 1st eyepiece would take some really fancy manipulation on my part.
NU.
student of entomology

Mitch640

Post by Mitch640 »

Mine also has two knobs, and they are tight up under the bottom, at the rear of the disk and they are short. The left one I can turn, the right one is blocked by that double knob that hangs down to adjust the x,y of the stage. You have to be a skinny fingered watchmaker to work them. Maybe tape the two eyepieces together.

It's a ways off though, I need the lens first. :)

Charles Krebs

Post by Charles Krebs »

Sounds great, in theory. On my BH2 I have to use both hand to twiddle the 2 centering screws
Piece of tape? Small paper or plastic tube/cylinder? If you don't have a phase telescope it is a nice technique to know. Outside of aligning phase rings, there are a variety of other occasions where you might want to observe the rear focal plane better than is possible with the naked eye.

NikonUser

Post by NikonUser »

Charles Krebs wrote:
...... and carefully hold it up, top to top (eye-lens to eye-lens) to the other eyepiece that is still inserted. Look into the back of the eyepiece you are holding and you can get a very good look at the objective rear aperture. Easy to align phase rings that way.
Charles, your last comment about tape /tube is out of context.
Your original technique, quoted above, was to hold and continue holding the eyepiece.
I think you are moving the goal posts
:roll:
NU.
student of entomology

Charles Krebs

Post by Charles Krebs »

Charles, your last comment about tape /tube is out of context.
Your original technique, quoted above, was to hold and continue holding the eyepiece.
I think you are moving the goal posts
:smt017 Huh!? :smt017
Just wanted to give a tip on how it is possible to view the rear aperture simply and quickly when a phase telescope is not at hand.

How it is implemented is up to the user.

Mitch640

Post by Mitch640 »

Here's a nice video on Adjusting Phase, with and without a telescope. He shows several easy tricks.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vPxtt8Bjaus

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic