Help with Lighting

Just bought that first macro lens? Post here to get helpful feedback and answers to any questions you might have.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

bones

Help with Lighting

Post by bones »

Trying my hand at macro photography after many years of landcape and nature photography. I've made up a base with a rack and pinion slide rail fitted with a micrometer so I can achieve 0.001" steps for focus stacking. Problem is lighting. It's been suggested I use flash, but living in a caravan park, firing the flash 60+ plus times several times a night seems to annoy some of my neighbours. Long story. I've tried incandscent (150w) and CFL lights and LED but can't seem to get the subject bright enough. I need something bright enough and small enough to get in close to the subject. Fibre optic lights along with the controller are way out of my price range at the moment. Any suggestions? I've tried looking through all the forums but there's so much information there I get too easily distracted and wander off my search. I really want to get into this side of photography but my lighting dramas are getting me down. Regards to you all......Bones.

johan

Post by johan »

You could line your curtains with blackout material, that's what I did for my study when my boy told me the flash stopped him getting asleep?
My extreme-macro.co.uk site, a learning site. Your comments and input there would be gratefully appreciated.

Chris S.
Site Admin

Post by Chris S. »

I agree about covering the windows. I've done it with black plastic and tape for some shoots (though my interest was in keeping light out of the room).

Craig Gerard

Post by Craig Gerard »

A small black light tent over the work area may also suffice.

Bones, what camera are you using? The caravan setting may require the speed of flash. An FO illuminator may solve one problem but at the expense of another important issue .i.e. environmental vibration.

Craig
To use a classic quote from 'Antz' - "I almost know exactly what I'm doing!"

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic