Just completed my setup.

A forum to ask questions, post setups, and generally discuss anything having to do with photomacrography and photomicroscopy.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

madmacro

Just completed my setup.

Post by madmacro »

Hi everyone,

After discovering this wonderful forum, and spending countless hours reading all the topic contributed by all the unselfish members.
I gather enough courage to built a setup.
The picture posted below is my setup, I took about 6 hour to assembled, I only have two lens one is a 55mm nikon macro, and the other is the EL 50mm 2.8 which I receive from US.
I will be happy to answer your query but I may require a bit of time as I live on the opposite of the world.(time differences)
The picture is not very clear since my 800x800 is always rejected during posting. Technical problem I suppose.
Thanks guy for viewing.

This is my completed lineup in horizontal position.

From the horizontal position the whole setup could be place in a vertical position for vertical use as well.

Craig Gerard

Post by Craig Gerard »

The picture is not very clear since my 800x800 is always rejected during posting. Technical problem I suppose.
The forum software will accept images with a maximum file size of 300kb (each file) and no larger than 1024px on the longest side.

Some questions regarding your setup. It appears the StackShot is attached to the baseboard via an Arca clamp. What approach did you find appropriate for securing the clamp to the baseboard?

Also, there appears to be an Arca clamp attached directly to the top of the StackShot platform. Could we see a closer image of that arrangement? Did you drill and tap additional threaded holes or use the existing holes?

The horizontal arrangement looks fine for the lenses mentioned; but if you begin to use higher magnifications the stage plate will need to be reduced, or swapped-out because working distance will decrease and the front of the lens will need to be much closer to the subject. Looking closely at the image, it appears you have planned for such a scenario. 8)

The vertical setup looks somewhat precarious (Not securely held or in position; dangerously likely to fall or collapse.) It must be heavy too. :shock: The StackShot is detachable, have you considered using an old enlarger stand or strong copy stand for vertical orientation?

When using either the EL-Nikkor 50/2.8 or the Micro Nikkor 55mm, are you reverse-mounting the lenses?

Craig
To use a classic quote from 'Antz' - "I almost know exactly what I'm doing!"

stevekale

Post by stevekale »

I wanted to ask a similar question regarding placing the Stackshot on a clamp. Sure it makes it easy to remove it off the base board but how stable is it, especially when the camera is not centred over the lower clamp?

EDIT: I just looked at my own Stackshot and I see it is rather difficult to access the holes in the base of the Stackshot from the top but this would be possible with a trimmed allen key.

Craig - threaded inserts, epoxy-embedded into the base board, would do the trick.

madmacro

Post by madmacro »

Hi Craig,

Firstly thanks for the posting info.
The clamp is exposy to the 15 kg granite (JB hard weld exposy not the rubbery type).
The stackshot top clamp has the same exposy.
Regarding the stage frontal length you are right it's a bit too far forward and precaution has to be taken when moving the rail forward.
Still thinking about the higher magnification till then may modified the stage again.
As regard to the flexible vertical arrangement my granite base consist of another two 6ins by 2ft granite which is capable to counter balance the stackshot and the camera, but as you mention the precarious look I may introduce a additional weight for peace of mind.
Yes I reverse mount my lens as I currently plan to shoot 1 to 5 magnification.
I may go for higher mag if I am more capable to handle lower mag.
Being new to this hobby I still havee to learn from you guys.
Hope I have answer to all your query and feel free to ask me anytime .

madmacro

Hi Stevekale

Post by madmacro »

Hi Stevekale,

At the moment the clamps is exposied to the stackshot.
I have to offset the clamp due to the clamp side screw which is below the clamp baseline.
If I have more budget I will change to the markin quick clamp.
Thanks for asking.

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Post by rjlittlefield »

madmacro, welcome aboard!

Your setup looks very nice -- certainly much classier than what I use.

I have one question about the setup: what is the purpose of the big block of clear plastic standing up behind the stage? Is it just for mechanical support, or does it have an optical purpose?

--Rik

abpho

Post by abpho »

rjlittlefield wrote:...what is the purpose of the big block of clear plastic standing up behind the stage?
It looks like it is the support for the vertical slide that supports the subject stand.

Chris S.
Site Admin

Post by Chris S. »

Madmacro, welcome and thanks for posting your new setup, which has some interesting and novel elements. I admire the ability to flip between horizontal and vertical orientations. Since I’ve been thinking through approaches to this getting this capability, it's useful to see how you've done it.

I hope you’ll post larger images, as you originally tried to do, which would make it easier to study what you’ve done. As Craig said, you can go to 1024 pixels in the longest dimension, so long as you keep the file size of an image under 300mb. So perhaps choosing a slightly lower quality form of jpeg will let your higher-pixel-count images go through.

Steve, my rig uses A-S style clamps for mounting to the base. I’ve found no reason to consider this a detriment to stability (and I go to pretty high magnifications). That said, my experience is with four-inch-long clamps, and not with a StackShot. Regarding a trimmed allen key—there is one connection in my subject stage that requires one. As you likely know, it’s not much of an impediment.

madmacro

Post by madmacro »

rjlittlefield wrote:madmacro, welcome aboard!

Your setup looks very nice -- certainly much classier than what I use.

I have one question about the setup: what is the purpose of the big block of clear plastic standing up behind the stage? Is it just for mechanical support, or does it have an optical purpose?

--Rik
Hi there is no function at all, I was looking for a square rod of aluminum or stainless steel and is pretty difficult to find one that has a perfect flat cut, this acrylic is very precisely cut and cost me S$8 only. It extremely rigid for my use and look less clutter on my setup.

Thanks for your warm welcome

madmacro

Post by madmacro »

abpho wrote:
rjlittlefield wrote:...what is the purpose of the big block of clear plastic standing up behind the stage?
It looks like it is the support for the vertical slide that supports the subject stand.
You are right its just a supporting column, on it I mounted a simple focus rail which is attached to the galvanized iron plate pasted with anti reflection black velvet. The L plate allow me to use magnet attach with white plastic card for lighting control.

madmacro

Hi Chris S

Post by madmacro »

Thanks for your helpful nature, I appreciate your guidance to effectively posting clearer picture, I will post clearer picture at a later date, At the moment I am improving the flash as the nikon SB 700 could not perform well mainly due to heating, I keep missing shot as I pass the 100 pics mark.
I am very new to this hobby ( two to three month plus )
I did badly in maths at school so shooting steps is by trial and error.
occasionally my step reach 150 or more.
I will learn how to calculate the distance later.
If you need to know anything feel free to ask me while I will prepare the photo for posting later at dates.

Take care chris.

madmacro

This are the clearer image I hope.

Post by madmacro »

This images are shot with a point and shoot camera.
Hope you guys don't mind, I process hopefully to show a clearer view of my set up.

The stage view from back.

AndrewC

Post by AndrewC »

Is that a special "stretch" StackShot ? It looks a lot longer than their own product shots ..
rgds, Andrew

"Is that an accurate dictionary ? Charlie Eppes

stevekale

Re: Hi Stevekale

Post by stevekale »

madmacro wrote:Hi Stevekale,

At the moment the clamps is exposied to the stackshot.
I have to offset the clamp due to the clamp side screw which is below the clamp baseline.
If I have more budget I will change to the markin quick clamp.
Thanks for asking.
Cheers. As I ponder building a setup I have been tossing up between screwing the base of the Stackshot directly to the base board (from the top into threaded inserts set with epoxy and tightened with a trimmed allen key) or, having seen your setup, putting in the intermediary step of an Arca-style clamp (or two for greater stability of the longer 8-inch Stackshot rail) between base board and the Stackshot.

Chris S - I worry about suspending a rail (or two) and a 1Ds II and lenses on a 60mm clamp - especially if the rail is fully extended either side of the clamp.

And so a question: does anyone know if an arca style clamp such as the Really Right Stuff B2-Pro 60mm can sit flat on a baseboard or does the screw knob require some clearance (just like madmacro)?

AndrewC

Re: Hi Stevekale

Post by AndrewC »

stevekale wrote:...
And so a question: does anyone know if an arca style clamp such as the Really Right Stuff B2-Pro 60mm can sit flat on a baseboard or does the screw knob require some clearance (just like madmacro)?
The lever clamps don't, but some people don't trust them. I do :)
rgds, Andrew

"Is that an accurate dictionary ? Charlie Eppes

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic