www.photomacrography.net :: View topic - Flexible polarizing film
www.photomacrography.net Forum Index
An online community dedicated to the practices of photomacrography, close-up and macro photography, and photomicrography.
Photomacrography Front Page Amateurmicrography Front Page
Old Forums/Galleries

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Flexible polarizing film

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.photomacrography.net Forum Index -> Equipment Exchange
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Saul

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 10:30 am    Post subject: Flexible polarizing film Reply with quote

One seller on Ebay is selling flexible polarizing film, which could be useful for the cross-polarization:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=350473845872&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT#ht_500wt_922
Harald

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,
In order to get polarized light trough a microscope, the filter must be linear polarizer. He says "almost black". To get polarized it must be black.

Lier Fotoklubb / NSFF
AFIAP / CPS
BGF / GMV
http://www.500px.com/blender11
Saul

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 6:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm using for flash-diffuser cross polarization , it works.
bromodomain

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've used the polarizing film from the LCD screen of a tetris game. It did work but its was pretty scratched so the image wasn't perfect. I think its a good price if you cant afford proper polarising filters Smile
Saul

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

it is not for lens. I'm using it inside diffuser around object (milk plastic type cylinder, film is attached to the inner surface), other polarizing filter (Cokin p type polarizer) is sitting on my flash. By rotating it, you can remove extra bright details from your object. Of course, you can use normal polarizing filter on the lens instead on the flash, but in this case you have one more additional glass between your object and sensor and you can loose little bit of sharpness (depending of the quality of your polarizing filter). And it is not comfortable to rotate it, if your stacking setup is complex or vibration sensitive. And there is one more thing - because of that rotating ring, your optical setup will have micro creep - microscope objective is sitting on the polarizing filter - surface of the objective will be not parallel (fully) to the sensor. This does not apply, if you are using vertical setup. Sorry for my English.
BR,
Saul
Pau
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harald wrote:
Hi,
In order to get polarized light trough a microscope, the filter must be linear polarizer. He says "almost black". To get polarized it must be black.

Not so much, circular pol filters are linear ones with 1/4wave plate in one side, if the two linear parts of both filters are facing you can get cross polarization (it's easy to test crossing them in front of a white lamp)
In fact some modern high end microscopes use circular pols as analyzers.

100% extintion (pure black) is not always possible, and it isn't necessary in order to get a notable effect. I'm used to work every day with school microscopes equiped with plastic pol filters. For some more exigent applications like quantitaive analysis or DIC only the best filters are suitable.

The worst issue with most (but not all!) photographic pols is that they induce a strong color cast, usualy blue, when crossed

more info and discussions:
http://www.photomacrography.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=10706&highlight=
and
http://www.photomacrography.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=10821&highlight=
johan

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 3:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very new here, and only learned about this technique a couple of days ago, but I came across this the other day and it arrived on my desk this morning:

Polarising Glass Stress Check Polarizing Film 21x15cm

£13.99 for 21x15 cm flexible film, should be good for a few flash output covers
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.photomacrography.net Forum Index -> Equipment Exchange All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: