micro mushroom

Images made through a microscope. All subject types.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

Charles Krebs

micro mushroom

Post by Charles Krebs »

This morning I noticed that the pile of thistle seed husks under one of my bird feeders had sprouted hair! :shock:
A closer examination revealed thousands of very thin, fine stalks of some type of fungus. Remembering some of the mycological marvels that have been posted recently, I dutifully gathered a sample and put it under the scope. The tiny fruiting bodies (?) were beautiful yellow spheres atop thin white stalks. I have no idea about an ID... perhaps someone can point me in the right direction. The diameter of the yellow sphere was 0.65mm, the stalk diameter was about 0.17mm.

Olympus 4/0.16 S Plan Apo, Canon 350D

Nikon 10/0.30 CFN Plan, Canon 350D

Ken Ramos

Post by Ken Ramos »

You know the first thing that comes to mind is myxomycetes. There are, if I am not mistaken, a couple of species that are micro or near microscopic in nature. Could this be one of them? :-k I have never encountered the smaller side of myxos and have only seen them mentioned once or twice but nothing about them in great detail. It would seem that like the larger myxos, up to 10mm, they too are even more so less noticed, except by those who diligently search for them or come across them by chance. Beautiful images Charlie :D

Charles Krebs

Post by Charles Krebs »

I did a little checking in my books and on-line as well, but haven't come across it yet. The closest in general appearance were the myxomycetes, and there are plenty of images of those... but while I know they are small, most pictures include no "scale" info. That's one reason I calculated the size, thought it would help. Nothing visible above ground except these fine, "hair-like" stalks. Whatever it is, it certainly looks nice under the microscope.

MacroLuv

Post by MacroLuv »

Nice lollipop there! :wink:
Great photo! :smt023
The meaning of beauty is in sharing with others.

P.S.
Noticing of my "a" and "the" and other grammar
errors are welcome. :D

beetleman

Post by beetleman »

Very beautiful...almost looks like yellow glass with gold finishings on a pearl stalk. Interesting subject Charles...I would follow-up on them...maybe something will show up to make an ID easier :wink:
Take Nothing but Pictures--Leave Nothing but Footprints.
Doug Breda

Ken Ramos

Post by Ken Ramos »

Well I am a myxo fanatic, as you all know. I would keep and eye on them Charlie to see if the peridium (the outer part of the yellow globe) brakes away and exposes a capillitium, which will have numerous spores. If so we or I would like some photos of them please :o , if possible. You are correct in referring to it as a “fruiting body.” I would almost bet this is a very tiny myxo, some plasmodia are microscopic and do produce fruiting bodies that are either microscopic or near microscopic. However you like most of us, should be I the dead of winter and myxos don’t do well in the cold. However, stranger things have happened. Where is your bird feeder located? Would or could it support temperatures above 60°F? :-k

darwin

Post by darwin »

Hi Charles,
This is not a myxomycete but a zygomycete, so a real fungi. Probably something like Pilaira or Phycomyces. :wink:
Last edited by darwin on Sat Jun 16, 2012 2:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dieter

BJ

Post by BJ »

Charles,

beautiful photos..beautiful mould.

i think that darwin has it... perhaps Pilaira anomala ...see this photo for a comparison:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/cornellfungi/478886873/

boa sorte
brian

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic