Basket Weave Siderite...

Earlier images, not yet re-categorized. All subject types. Not for new images.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

crocoite

Basket Weave Siderite...

Post by crocoite »

Hi all

Quite liked this photo so I thought I would share it...

Its hemispherical siderite (an iron carbonate mineral) that has been coated with a clay mineral (probably montmorillonite) which has dehydrated and cracked, and then another generation of siderite has been deposited and formed preferentially on the cracks, giving the "basket weave" look. Field of view is about 5mm.
Last edited by crocoite on Sat Feb 17, 2007 6:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bruce Williams

Post by Bruce Williams »

I can see why you liked this photo Steve. Extraordinary shapes - quite bizarre and other-worldly!

An interesting (albeit trivial) optical effect: When I first looked at the image I assumed the lines of siderite to be below the level of the cream coloured clay mineral (particularly on largest spherical shape). However, if I'm reading you correctly the siderite has been deposited on the cracks above the level of the clay.

Bruce

beetleman

Post by beetleman »

Very interesting Steve. nice textures and patterns. When I first opened the post, I thought it was a lichen or something organic (I know nobody else looks at the pictures first :wink: ). To me it looks like the siderite did not fill the cracks totally.
Take Nothing but Pictures--Leave Nothing but Footprints.
Doug Breda

cactuspic

Post by cactuspic »

Wonderful photo Steve. I love form and texture images, but they are certainly hard to do well. Cool. 8)

Irwin

Mike B in OKlahoma

Post by Mike B in OKlahoma »

Very interesting! There's a lot of DOF to cover here, tough shot but interesting subject.
Mike Broderick
Oklahoma City, OK, USA

Constructive critiques of my pictures, and reposts in this forum for purposes of critique are welcome

"I must obey the inscrutable exhortations of my soul....My mandate includes weird bugs."
--Calvin

crocoite

Post by crocoite »

Bruce Williams wrote:I can see why you liked this photo Steve. Extraordinary shapes - quite bizarre and other-worldly!

An interesting (albeit trivial) optical effect: When I first looked at the image I assumed the lines of siderite to be below the level of the cream coloured clay mineral (particularly on largest spherical shape). However, if I'm reading you correctly the siderite has been deposited on the cracks above the level of the clay.

Bruce
Thanks Bruce. and you are quite correct. I'll post a photo of another specimen later tonight that shows it much more graphically.

crocoite

Post by crocoite »

Thanks Doug, Irwin and Mike... :D

nephiliim

Post by nephiliim »

Good capture there man, 5 mm?? Wow!!
The cracks remind me of those fossilized dinosaur eggs you sometimes see from the mongolian desert. I think they where protoceratops' but I'm not sure.

Keep 'em coming!!!

All the best,

Tom B
Sometimes smaller is better eh? nodge nodge :lol

Canon EOS 450D
Sigma MACRO 70mm F2.8 EX DG
Tamron AF70-300mm F/4-5.6 Di LD Macro

No external flash yet :(

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic