Petrified Tree Rings

Earlier images, not yet re-categorized. All subject types. Not for new images.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

Mike B in OKlahoma

Petrified Tree Rings

Post by Mike B in OKlahoma »

Fossilized tree rings at the core of this log reflect the climate 200 million years ago, while the rings in the outer part of the log were lost to us when they turned into quartz. The badlands in the background tell us what this area is like today.

ADDED LATER: The image wasn't "close-up" enough for the requirements of this forum, so the moderators correctly asked me to edit it for closeness....Cropping on just the log produced a rather dull image (which justifies the view that it isn't closeup enough....) so I took it down. If you're browsing the archives and want to see this, you can check here:

http://www.naturescapes.net/phpBB2/view ... ight=rings
Last edited by Mike B in OKlahoma on Thu Feb 22, 2007 12:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Mike Broderick
Oklahoma City, OK, USA

Constructive critiques of my pictures, and reposts in this forum for purposes of critique are welcome

"I must obey the inscrutable exhortations of my soul....My mandate includes weird bugs."
--Calvin

MacroLuv

Post by MacroLuv »

Very impressive Mike. :D
It still looks like a prostrate timber. Even outer ring looks like a bark. Actually reddish color comes from ferro-oxide, I suppose? And what about that holes in the "wood" ? :shock:
The meaning of beauty is in sharing with others.

P.S.
Noticing of my "a" and "the" and other grammar
errors are welcome. :D

Ken Ramos

Post by Ken Ramos »

An interesting image here Mike, infact so that it led me to do a little research on the Petrified Forest of AZ. Though I did not look indepth, I got a generalization of what happened here and why. It is amazing indeed that all of this is still here after being covered up and reformed so many times over the millions of past years and then being exposed once again.

I keep thinking of the movie "The Time Machine," where it showed in both the old version and the new, the laps of time as the traveler spanned the eons. Would it not be grand to be able to see this forest, or what is left of it, being formed and reformed over the ages. A very impressive exhibition of the dynamics of nature for sure Mike. Thanks :D

Now about that meteor crater? :roll:

Bruce Williams

Post by Bruce Williams »

A fascinating photo Mike with beautiful muted colours - the tree is so much part of the landscape. Are there lots of fossilised trees in the park or just this one tree?

Interesting information about the outer and inner rings too - wonder if because the outer organic structures broke down (decayed) faster than the (incredibly slow) process of fossilisation?

Bruce

beetleman

Post by beetleman »

I gotta get out there sometime in my life to see these things first hand. Great picture Mike (is there a snake a snake under the log?)
Take Nothing but Pictures--Leave Nothing but Footprints.
Doug Breda

Mike B in OKlahoma

beetleman wrote:I gotta get out there sometime in my life to see these things first hand. Great picture Mike (is there a snake a snake under the log?)
I was just there a couple of weeks ago (rushed back to try to beat the ice storm that was in the news, and failed!), so in the middle of January, for all i know there was a rattlesnake hibernating under the log! :D

I REALLY enjoyed the Arizona and New Mexico region. I actually enjoyed those few days in Arizona more than I enjoyed Italy last year (though not Slovenia--It was a lot of fun being with a group of other photographers). I found the weird geology and the Indian ruins fascinating. Already got another trip planned. If you make it out there (it's further for you than for me!) you won't regret it.
Mike Broderick
Oklahoma City, OK, USA

Constructive critiques of my pictures, and reposts in this forum for purposes of critique are welcome

"I must obey the inscrutable exhortations of my soul....My mandate includes weird bugs."
--Calvin

Mike B in OKlahoma

Bruce Williams wrote:A fascinating photo Mike with beautiful muted colours - the tree is so much part of the landscape. Are there lots of fossilised trees in the park or just this one tree?
There are literally hundreds of logs like this, and gazillions of smaller fragments of wood. They are concentrated for the most part in moderate-size areas, with woodless areas in between. It is an amazing place, but it was tough to photograph well!
Mike Broderick
Oklahoma City, OK, USA

--Calvin

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic