My first insect Macro's - advice and CC needed

Just bought that first macro lens? Post here to get helpful feedback and answers to any questions you might have.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

jenfur74

My first insect Macro's - advice and CC needed

Post by jenfur74 »

Hi, these are my first insect macro's using Nikon D3100, 50mm f1.8lens, Kenko extension tubes.

The focus of the fly needs some work, probably best to be stacked, but my knowledge is limited here, for the moment.

The smaller fly, much better. I like the bits of pollen around his legs, body.

Also, any info on species if anyone knows.

Thanks
JenImage

oxkarthemighty

Post by oxkarthemighty »

Good starts and welcome to this highly addictive and time consuming activity of macro-photography! You are correct in your focusing, aim for the eyes. Its just like shooting portraits of people focus those pupils..or compound eyes as it would be in this case. Maybe take your aperture to a f/6 to a f/10 to get a little more insect in your image. When you are doing macro in the field its sometimes difficult to get stacked shots due to slight wind, moving bugs, ect. So no need to worry about that right off the bat (in my own personal opinion). Just have fun if you are just starting off and don't try to get too technical!
If your photo lacks interest, you aren't close enough.

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Post by rjlittlefield »

Oops, I missed this one when first posted.

Jen, welcome aboard! :D

Image #2 shows a "brown lacewing", order Neuroptera, family Hemerobiidae, see for example http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hemerobiidae.

Image #1 is a true fly, order Diptera, possibly family Muscidae though I am far from sure about that.

I agree with oxkarthemighty regarding priorities. Ignore stacking for the moment. (Bear in mind, I write stacking software!) Concentrate on having fun and learning single-shot macro.

--Rik

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic