Fast critters - how to capture them?

Starting out in microscopy? Post images and ask questions relating to the microscope and get answers from our more advanced users on the subject.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

Simon W

Fast critters - how to capture them?

Post by Simon W »

Saw my first active water creature today, a squirming worm (rotifer?) that completely filled my eyepiece at 400x. A hoot following it around the slide, a good way to get more practiced at automatically using the stage.

What hit me, was how on earth can you take a photo of such a wriggling beastie? Let alone take 20 shots! Flash? Are there safe chemicals you guys use to slow such creatures down? I could see it slowing down as I cooked it over the light though. felt a hint of sadness too.
Simon W
EOS 5D Mk 3; Olympus BH-2; Zerene Stacker
Melbourne, Australia

Craig Gerard

Post by Craig Gerard »

Simon,

Here is one link with applicable information.
http://www.photomacrography.net/forum/v ... php?t=4398

Craig
To use a classic quote from 'Antz' - "I almost know exactly what I'm doing!"

Simon W

Post by Simon W »

Now THAT is a fun thread! As my critter was about 100x smaller, should I only use light beer? :-)
Simon W
Melbourne, Australia

gpmatthews

Post by gpmatthews »

I don't know what the availability of lidocaine is in Australia, but I use lidocaine sore throat spray as an anaesthetic. In the UK it is available over the counter in pharmacies. It works well on a variety of water creatures and is especially useful for cladocera, midge larvae etc.

I think availability is a problem in some countries, such as the USA, depending on its legal category.

Benzocaine, another common ingredient in sore throat sprays, is usually unsuitable in that it precipitates crystals in water because of poor solubility. Lidocaine as hydrochloride does not, but takes longer to act because of lower fat solubility than benzocaine.
Graham

Though we lean upon the same balustrade, the colours of the mountain are different.

Simon W

Post by Simon W »

Thanks for that Graham. I've searched in Australia & haven't found Lidocaine here yet, but it gives me something to hunt for, especially the ingredient.

Still open to any other suggestions. I ain't buying Johnnie Walker Blue lable for those spoilt creatures!
Simon W
Melbourne, Australia

NikonUser

Post by NikonUser »

Simon W wrote: Still open to any other suggestions.
search the PNG.net for protoslo, methylcellulose, wallpaper paste.
NU.
student of entomology
Quote – Holmes on ‘Entomology’
” I suppose you are an entomologist ? “
” Not quite so ambitious as that, sir. I should like to put my eyes on the individual entitled to that name.
No man can be truly called an entomologist,
sir; the subject is too vast for any single human intelligence to grasp.”
Oliver Wendell Holmes, Sr
The Poet at the Breakfast Table.

Nikon camera, lenses and objectives
Olympus microscope and objectives

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic