Three recent shots from saltwater aquarium

Earlier images, not yet re-categorized. All subject types. Not for new images.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

piotr

Three recent shots from saltwater aquarium

Post by piotr »

Red Tube Worm (Serpula sp.)

Radula of Margarita Snail (Margarites pupillus)

Mantis Shrimp (Gonodactylellus sp.) preying on Pacific Mole Crab (Emerita analoga)

All pictures taken with Nikon D50, 100mm/3.5 Vivitar macro + 50mm/1.8 reversed, internal flash

Bruce Williams

Post by Bruce Williams »

Interesting photos Piotr. I particularly like the one of the grazing snail showing the individual rows of teeth along the extended radula. Would be interesting to see a video clip of the radula in action. I notice you have provided it with a plentiful supply of grub :D

Bruce
Last edited by Bruce Williams on Sun Jan 21, 2007 8:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

Ken Ramos

Post by Ken Ramos »

Some great shots here piotr, especially of the snail and the shrimp. :smt023

beetleman

Post by beetleman »

long time no see piotr :wink: Wonderful aquarium photos. I had reef aquariums for around 10 years I had to get out of them because I changed jobs and was not making as much money as I was before. I used to spend hours just looking at all the life that was in there (I am sure you do the same). I remember at nightime if you tapped on the glass, there were animals with Bioluminescence and they would fire off. It would look like little stars all over the tank. The one thing they always said you didn`t want in your tank is a Mantis shrimp. A beautiful Killer of anything it can reach :shock:
Take Nothing but Pictures--Leave Nothing but Footprints.
Doug Breda

piotr

Post by piotr »

Thank you for all comment, guys! I will try to post more often... I hope to find more time for the hobby this year.

Doug... wow, I have never observed bioluminescence in the tank (although I have seen it few times on a beach at night, probably some dinoflagelates). I know some little brittlestars can emit light, but I haven't seen them. But my tank is really small (just 5 gallons "nano" tank) and not that expensive... I have to change water quite often. As for the mantis shrimp, it is a very little species (less than 2" long), and it eats mainly frozen food, although it hunted a few little hermit crabs and snails. Definitely, it is fun to watch, quite intelligent creature.

Bruce... indeed, the snails are great, they can always find spots I forgotten to clean. Making a close-up video is a great idea... I'll try.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic