DIC + epifluorescence

A forum to ask questions, post setups, and generally discuss anything having to do with photomacrography and photomicroscopy.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

bromodomain

DIC + epifluorescence

Post by bromodomain »

This is one of my first attempts at DIC ever and since I was missing parts I had to improvise so I used a circular polarizer with a λ/4 compensator in conjunction with fluorescence. Thats a rat nerve that I cut and I think this is the zone of myelin transition between the central and peripheral nervous systems.

Unfortunately the camera wasn't working properly and I was acquiring images with a different exposure than the preview one :(

DNA stained with DAPI

I used an optigrid panel to spatially attenuate the UV beam and thus managed to illuminate only half the field. You can see the birefringent Schwann cells and the difference in DNA (or cellular density) across the transition.

I wish I had the 20x/0.75 Planapo nomarski prism because this is my favourite objective 8) This image was acquired with a 10x/0.3 Plan-NEOFLUAR.
Last edited by bromodomain on Thu Aug 11, 2011 5:55 am, edited 2 times in total.

Cactusdave

Post by Cactusdave »

Looks like you may have some interesting optical effects going on there. I'd like to see some more pictures using the circular polariser and quarter wave compensator.
Leitz Ortholux 1, Zeiss standard, Nikon Diaphot inverted, Canon photographic gear

bromodomain

Post by bromodomain »

deleted
Last edited by bromodomain on Thu Aug 11, 2011 5:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

bromodomain

Post by bromodomain »

Cactusdave wrote:Looks like you may have some interesting optical effects going on there.
If I'm using circularly polarised light wouldn't that be C-DIC?

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic