Ammonite - focus on the Siphuncle

Every 30 days the site administrators will pick an image made through a microscope from the "Photography Through the Microscope Gallery" to be featured on the front page of the www.amateurmicrography.net website.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

Bruce Williams

Ammonite - focus on the Siphuncle

Post by Bruce Williams »

Hi folks,

Photos are of a Moroccan ammonite from the Cretaceous period (Albian stage approx. 100 mya), cut longitudinally and polished.

Photo1 covers an area 16mm X 12mm.

This is my own simple sketch of what an ammonite might have looked like, based largely upon the present day nautilus (although latest thinking has the ammonite more closely related to cuttlefish, squid and octopus than the nautilus):

http://brucewilliams.ifastnet.com/ammon ... 0title.jpg

The first photo shows the chambered structure of the ammonite. Like the present day nautilus, the ammonite “lived” in the last chamber (or camera) only, secreting new chambers as it grew. However it maintained a living link with each chamber via a long thin tube (the siphuncle) passing back through each chamber wall (or septum).

The siphuncle was used to control the level of water and gas in each chamber as a form of buoyancy control. In the case of the ammonite the siphuncle was positioned ventrally (whereas it's located centrally in the nautilus).

In order to see the siphuncle, the ammonite must be longitudinally cut exactly halfway through to expose the “tube”. In this specimen this objective has only been partly achieved, exposing the siphuncle in 5 chambers only (about a third of the way up). It can be seen that the chamber walls (septa) are especially modified to allow the siphuncle to pass from chamber to chamber - this is more obvious in photos 2 and 3.

During the process of fossilisation the chambers become filled with calcite and other fine grained sediment. How this might have occurred is discussed in this article:

http://gsa.confex.com/gsa/2006CD/finalp ... 104207.htm

All the very best for 2007!
Bruce

Last edited by Bruce Williams on Sun Dec 31, 2006 4:31 am, edited 3 times in total.

Ken Ramos

Post by Ken Ramos »

Great photographs there and an interesting subject Bruce, glad you included the drawing, helped me out a bunch to understand what you were referring to and to what you had posted. I am not to familar with things like this, learned something new today! :D

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Post by rjlittlefield »

And thanks also for the extra link, to the article about filling with sediment. Odd though it may sound, I actually have wondered about that from time to time. It's reassuring to know that other people have too!

--Rik

Bruce Williams

Post by Bruce Williams »

Thanks for your comments guys.

I guess like most things, ammonites turn out to be far more interesting when you start researching them in detail. In the near future I hope to post some photos looking more closely at the septal sutures.

Bruce

MacroLuv

Post by MacroLuv »

Some parts looks like still filled with flash! :shock:
The meaning of beauty is in sharing with others.

P.S.
Noticing of my "a" and "the" and other grammar
errors are welcome. :D

Ken Ramos

Post by Ken Ramos »

Well Bruce, it must really be great being on the front page. I bet all the girls are beating down your door. Yes, I remember when I made the front page of microscopy. They were all beating my door down too but they had torches, pitchforks, rakes, and staves, as the thunder crashed and lightening arced along the buttress of the castle walls, the wolves with glistening fangs trying to hold back the maddening hoard. Bah! The peasants, they have no idea, no understanding, the creature...it is alive! :shock: Yeah those were the days. :-k

Well Bruce the Ammonite looks really sharp on the front cover...enjoy! :D

Bruce Williams

Post by Bruce Williams »

Thanks Ken (aka Frank N. Stein),

I'd be lying if I didn't admit to just a smidgen of pride. Well okay, I've emailed all my family, friends, colleagues, neighbours, casual acquaintances - as well as a few people I don't know. In fact my ISP is threatening to evict me for spamming!

Bruce :D :D :D

svalley

Post by svalley »

Congratulations Bruce! Great images.
"You can't build a time machine without weird optics"
Steve Valley - Albany, Oregon

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic