www.photomacrography.net :: View topic - Fungus that takes over it's host
www.photomacrography.net Forum Index
An online community dedicated to the practices of photomacrography, close-up and macro photography, and photomicrography.
Photomacrography Front Page Amateurmicrography Front Page
Old Forums/Galleries

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Fungus that takes over it's host

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.photomacrography.net Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum and Community Announcements
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Carl_Constantine

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 12:07 am    Post subject: Fungus that takes over it's host Reply with quote

This is on spikedhumor, so be sure you have your popup blockers on, but I found the video VERY interesting and thought I would share it.

http://spikedhumor.com/articles/78050/A_Type_Of_Fungus_Takes_Over_Its_Victim.html
Ken Ramos

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 3:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've seen this video before Carl. Quite an interesting and eerie type of thing isn't it. Very Happy
Carl_Constantine

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I can't imagine what this does these guys. Would it affect humans???
Ken Ramos

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Carl asked:
Quote:
Would it affect humans???

In my research so far I have found no mention of it, however, there are other fungi just as deadly and producing somewhat similar disfigurations after infecting human hosts. The spore nuclei of the Cordyceps are hapliod (1n) having only one set of chromosomes, therefore they are susceptable to mutation, from my limited understanding of Ascomycetes or Ascomycotoa. Could they mutate to animals? So far I have found no reference discussing that possiblity. Think Come spring, I hope to find Cordyceps where they have wintered over inside a caterpillar or two and examine them a bit more closely. According to the video (there is a version of that by the way, that is a few seconds longer on YouTube) there are thousands of Cordyceps species, each one atuned to a particular species of insect and affecting the insects in a diverse manner of ways, i.e the stroma or fruiting body erupting from behind the ants head, while in other insects, it may erupt from the abdomenal area of the insect or other times erupting from the joints of appendages, as in grasshoppers. Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.photomacrography.net Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum and Community Announcements All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: