Amazon Pics Part 29

Earlier images, not yet re-categorized. All subject types. Not for new images.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

Moebius

Amazon Pics Part 29

Post by Moebius »

This one is similar to the Netwing Beetles we have in the central US, but this one has different colors:

These guys, 5-10mm in length, congregated together by the hundreds on a small path of a tree trunk. Whether they were newly hatched or somehow were able to get nutrients through the wood of the tree I can only speculate. The thorax and abdomen resemble an homoteran, but the eyes and antenna don't seem typical. Anybody have an idea what these things could be?

Again, these pics look dark to me, but it might be that I am on my uncalibrated monitor at work. At home they didn't look this dark. How do they appear to you?

Ken Nelson
Canon 30D
Sigma 150mm

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Post by rjlittlefield »

Definitely dark as of 6:10 am PST. For the two different calibrations that I use on this monitor (one "standard", one print-matched), the third image works better with a Photoshop level adjust of (0,1.15,255). That makes it look OK on both settings. Otherwise it's marginal at the standard setting and very dark for the print-matched setting. I'm afraid this one's going to be tricky -- at least for me, it's the dark images that show the most difference between calibrations.

--Rik

Moebius

Post by Moebius »

After a tip from LordV on another forum, I believe the last two pics are from the Order - PSOCOPTERA.

Ken

svalley

Post by svalley »

Ken, interesting shots. They do appear a bit dark, but good captures all the same. The tangle of antennae in the 2nd shot confused my eye/brain into thinking that the each only had 1. Cool critters.
"You can't build a time machine without weird optics"
Steve Valley - Albany, Oregon

beetleman

Post by beetleman »

I was going to say barklice but you beat me to it Ken. I posted a shot of a local one here from this summer. I had never seen one before :shock:
http://www.photomacrography.net/forum/v ... t=barklice
Yours are much more alien looking. The third shot looks like the barklice watering hole. The netwinged beetle is pretty cool also. Great captures. :wink:
Take Nothing but Pictures--Leave Nothing but Footprints.
Doug Breda

cactuspic

Post by cactuspic »

Interesting cptures of some unusual insects. More fine work Ken.

Irwin

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic