Peltigera neckeri

Images made through a microscope. All subject types.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

ralfwagner

Peltigera neckeri

Post by ralfwagner »

Hello,

finally I did some lichen work again:

- Thallus, 10 - 20cm , thick. Lobes up to 1,5 cm wide and 3 cm long. Surface greywhite, pruinose. Often with longish cracks. Undersurface pale at the margins becoming brownblack towards the center. Rarely dark veines or rhinzines. Apothecia darkbrown to black, beanshaped. Location: Tyrol, Austria

- Lobe, cross section

- Lobe, cross section, closeup of the photosymbiont Nostoc

- Apothecium, cross section. Staining with Lactophenol-Methylblue-Acidfuchsin.

- Asci with spores. Apicalstructures stained with Lugol.

Until today I have 14 species of Peltigera on my website. In Germany there are 19 species, in Europe 29 and worlwide over 50. A lot of work to do.

Mitch640

Post by Mitch640 »

Very nice image work. Do you have to work fast with mushrooms? I know they do not last long here, even if not handled.

ralfwagner

Post by ralfwagner »

Mitch640 wrote:
Do you have to work fast with mushrooms? I know they do not last long here, even if not handled.
No, when dry you can store lichens nearly for an unlimited time. Just put the lichen into a paper bag when in the field and later at home keep it for a week at a dry place.

The Peltigera shown here is now since one year in my herbarium.

Charles Krebs

Post by Charles Krebs »

Ralf,

Always amazed at how a subject that can appear so ""bland" to the unaided eye can have so much fascinating detail and structure when looked at the way you present them here. Nicely done!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic