Blues for a rainy winter day

Earlier images, not yet re-categorized. All subject types. Not for new images.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

cactuspic

Blues for a rainy winter day

Post by cactuspic »

What better way to appreciate a dismal rainy winter day than some blues.

A focus stacked Agave parryi

A focus stacked Echinocatus horizonthaonius
A focus stacked artichoke flower shot cool
Hope you enjoy.

Irwin

beetleman

Post by beetleman »

I will enjoy Irwin. The third blue one is fantastic IMO...all three are super. You did a nice job on the agave, looks very surreal. :wink:
Take Nothing but Pictures--Leave Nothing but Footprints.
Doug Breda

Bruce Williams

Post by Bruce Williams »

That's a beautifully clean parryi you have there Irwin - IMO one of the most attractive of the agaves. I guess you are able to grow it outside in Texas? I just love the impressions left on the inner leaf as the plant grows (slowly in the UK) and gradually opens out. Nice composition - clearly organic, yet it has something of an architectural feel to it too.

How big is your plant Irwin?

I didn't know that there was a white flowered form of horizonthalonius?

Bruce

cactuspic

Post by cactuspic »

Thank you Doug and Bruce. I regret to say that the agave is not my plant. Agaves take up to much room in the cramped quarters of my yard and greenhouse. I love them; but I am not into body piercings. I therefore let other grow the agaves I photograph. This was in Arizona. The plant was about 15" tall.

Moebius

Post by Moebius »

I must say, I love #s 1 & 3.

The lines on #1 look almost too perfect to be natural. Can't stop staring at it. Nice exposure on a white subject as well

#3 looks like blue light being passed through an array of fiberoptic cables....very pleasing.

Your continued pictures inspire me to try to grow cacti & succulents. Hard to grow?

Ken

DaveW

Post by DaveW »

"Your continued pictures inspire me to try to grow cacti & succulents. Hard to grow?"

Can't be, I grow them! :lol:

The CSSA does have an affiliate in Nebraska:-

River City C&SS

See:-

http://www.cssainc.org/content/view/1/260/#NEBRASKA

Strange to say we did have a member in the Nottingham Branch of the British Cactus & Succulent Society that came from Nebraska!

DaveW

cactuspic

Post by cactuspic »

Moebius wrote:I must say, I love #s 1 & 3.

The lines on #1 look almost too perfect to be natural. Can't stop staring at it. Nice exposure on a white subject as well

#3 looks like blue light being passed through an array of fiberoptic cables....very pleasing.

Your continued pictures inspire me to try to grow cacti & succulents. Hard to grow?

Ken
Thanks Ken.
For the most part, the hardest thing about growning then is to lay avoid too much water. Most of the cacti are relatively easy. Some of the succulents can get a little trickier. To paraphrase Dave' pity sentiment, how hard can it be if we grow them? Many do well on a windowsill

Best regards.

Dave

cactuspic

Post by cactuspic »

Dave, I thank you for your always helpful and informative posts. You go the extra mile to get helpful info to people. As someone whon has benefitted often, I just wanted to say thanks.

Best regards

Irwin

Carl_Constantine

Post by Carl_Constantine »

That last image is beautiful! (Don't get me wrong, all 3 are very nice images, I'm just drawn to that last one more) I've never seen a cactus with that kind of flower color before. wonderful lighting and detail.
Carl B. Constantine

MacroLuv

Post by MacroLuv »

#1 looks like a painting, #2 very 3-D and #3 delicious! :D

Artichoke Bruschetta Recipe

Ingredients:
1 14-inch loaf Italian bread
1 cup drained, canned artichoke hearts, chopped
1 cup chopped, seeded, fresh tomato
1/4 cup finely chopped onion
3 cloves garlic, pressed
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 1/2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
Fresh-grated Parmesan cheese(optional)

Directions:
1. Heat oven to 350 degrees. With a serrated knife , cut off ends from bread and reserve for another use. Slice remaining bread crosswise into twenty-four 1/2-inch thick pieces. Place bread slices on ungreased baking sheet; bake 10 minutes or until lightly toasted.

2.In medium bowl,combine artichoke hearts, tomato, onion, garlic, oil, vinegar, and pepper.

3. Divide artichoke mixture among toasted bread and spread to cover surface. Drizzle any juice remaining in bowl over bruschetta and sprinkle with cheese, if desired. Arrange bruschetta on platter and serve. Makes 24

Nutrition information per bruschetta without cheese--protein:3grams; fat:1 gram; carbohydrate:18 grams; fiber: 1 gram; sodium:183 milligrams; cholesterol:0; calories: 100.

Artichoke and Shrimp Pasta Salad recipe

Serves 4.

Can be prepared ahead of time and refrigerated.

1/2 pound medium shells or farfalle pasta
1 (9 ounce) package frozen artichoke hearts
1 pound frozen shrimp
A few leaves oregano, chopped, or 1/4 teaspoon dry
1 garlic clove, peeled an finely chopped
3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
Salt and freshly ground black pepper

Bring water to a boil. Cook shrimp following instructions on package. Drain well on paper towels.

Defrost and steam artichoke hearts. Drain well and place on paper towels.

Cook pasta al dente. Rinse with cold water. Drain very well. Place in large serving bowl and drizzle with a little olive oil and toss.

Prepare the garlic and the oregano or use parsley, if you prefer, while the pasta cooks. Add remaining olive oil, vinegar, garlic, oregano salt and lots of black pepper. Mix well, cover with plastic wrap or place in a sealed container and refrigerate for a couple of hours or for a day.

When ready to serve, place in a serving bowl, toss well. Check for seasoning, adding salt or pepper if need be and garnish with a few leaves of oregano or parsley.

COUSCOUS-STUFFED ARTICHOKES

4 large California artichokes
1½ cups chicken broth
1 teaspoon curry powder
¾ teaspoon ground cumin
½ teaspoon garlic salt
1 cup instant couscous
¼ cup currants
½ cup sliced green onion
½ cup toasted slivered almonds, chopped
½ teaspoon grated lemon peel
2 tablespoons lemon juice
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
Plain lowfat yogurt, optional

Wash artichokes. Cut off stems at base and remove small bottom leaves. Stand artichokes upright in deep saucepan large enough to hold snugly. Add 1 teaspoon salt and 2 to 3 inches boiling water. Cover and boil gently 35 to 45 minutes, or until base can be pierced easily with fork. (Add a little more boiling water, if needed.) Turn artichokes upside down to drain. Carefully remove center petals and fuzzy centers with a spoon and discard. Keep warm or chill as desired.
In medium saucepan combine chicken broth, curry powder, cumin and garlic salt; bring to a boil. Remove from heat; stir in couscous and currants. Cover and let stand 5 minutes. Fluff couscous with a fork. Stir in green onion and almonds. Combine lemon peel, lemon juice and vegetable oil; stir into couscous.
Gently spread artichoke leaves until center cone of leaves is revealed. Pull out center cone. With a spoon, scrape out any purple-tipped leaves and fuzz. Fill centers of artichokes with couscous mixture. Serve with plain yogurt, if desired. Makes 4 generous servings.

Nutritional information per serving: calories 385; protein 13.1 g; carbohydrate 53.7 g; fat 14.5 g; sodium 632 mg; potassium 576 mg; cholesterol 0 mg; dietary fiber 5.1 g

COOK'S TIP: Fresh cooked and chilled artichokes are easy to keep on hand for quick meals. Refrigerated in a covered container, they will keep up to a week.
The meaning of beauty is in sharing with others.

P.S.
Noticing of my "a" and "the" and other grammar
errors are welcome. :D

cactuspic

Post by cactuspic »

Carl_Constantine wrote:That last image is beautiful! (Don't get me wrong, all 3 are very nice images, I'm just drawn to that last one more) I've never seen a cactus with that kind of flower color before. wonderful lighting and detail.
Hi Carl. Thank you. :D The last one is not a cactus flower, though. It is an artichoke flower.

Irwin

cactuspic

Post by cactuspic »

Nikola, I love how life is reduceable to a fine meal. The artichke recipes sounded wonderful. May we share at least one of them together with some good wine. :)

Irwin

MacroLuv

Post by MacroLuv »

Hey folks!
Why I have a feeling that some of our members still consider me as a female? :shock: :-k :lol:

P.S.

Ken Ramos

Post by Ken Ramos »

Nikola asked:
Why I have a feeling that some of our members still consider me as a female?
Could be all those recipes you coming up with! :roll: :lol: By the way, we all may be coming over to your house to eat! :wink:

You know these are some pretty nice images. I didn't think that cacti could be so photogenic. :D

MacroLuv

Post by MacroLuv »

Well Ken, in my country we say that love is coming through the stomach. :lol:

P.S.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic