Nanoha: Micro Four Thirds gets an "MPE-alike"

This area is for the discussion of what's new, what's on your mind, and general photographic topics. A place to meet, make comments on this site, and get the latest community news.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

ChrisLilley

Nanoha: Micro Four Thirds gets an "MPE-alike"

Post by ChrisLilley »

The Canon MPE-65 5x macro lens has, up to now, been a somewhat unique offering. Now Yasuhara has a prototype 'Nanoha' 5x magnification macro lens, for Micro Four Thirds and Sony "E" cameras. (Its not clear if this is 1x to 5x variable, or a fixed 5x, but the photo seems to show a "4x" which to me indicates a variable magnification). Its 'only' manual focus (of course) and has 10 elements in 7 groups.

There seem to be three led lights built into the front of the lens. Which may be handy as the front of the lens is quite big compared to the size of the front lens element, so it could be tricky to light around.

Edit: the lighting unit is removable, and the bare lens has a much smaller profile, see here.

Edit 2: the magnification is 4x to 5x and the working distance is 11mm at 5x, 19mm at 4x. See here.

Details here.

Photo credit: photorumors.com

Edit 3: add 'Nanoha' to subject line to make the thread easier to find
Last edited by ChrisLilley on Fri Jun 03, 2011 9:39 am, edited 2 times in total.

Danny

Post by Danny »

Very interesting thanks Chris. Using a Panasonic G2 these days and wondering where decent macro lenses were. Only a couple of choices at the moment, fully dedicated that is.

Theres a slight problem with the specs on this one though. Its that lens to subject distance I don't go for much. The Canon does a 5:1 at around 42- 45mm off memory. With the Panasonic 45-200mm and a Raynox DCR-250 we are getting around a 3.5:1......depending on the settings, in 35mm terms at a lens to subject distance of around 100-110mm and the quality is excellent.

With a stacked 50mm lens on the 45-200 its over 5:1 again depending on the settings in the camera and the quality is up there as well. Again at a good lens to subject distance.

That would be the only downfall I would have with that. But very interesting and well worth keeping an eye on.

Danny.
Worry about the image that comes out of the box, rather than the box itself.

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Re: Micro Four Thirds gets an "MPE-alike"

Post by rjlittlefield »

ChrisLilley wrote:Its not clear if this is 1x to 5x variable, or a fixed 5x, but the photo seems to show a "4x" which to me indicates a variable magnification.
The specifications table at http://www.yasuhara.co.jp/nanoha/spec-e.html says "x5 to x4". If that's correct, the range is oddly limited. :?

--Rik

ChrisR
Site Admin

Post by ChrisR »

Obviously for a niche market. People who need things to be explained really well:
NANOHA has a small target holding adaptor named "target holder". You can attach small targets easily to the lens with this target holder.

Pau
Site Admin

Post by Pau »

ChrisR wrote:Obviously for a niche market. People who need things to be explained really well:
NANOHA has a small target holding adaptor named "target holder". You can attach small targets easily to the lens with this target holder.
:shock: Oh, I understand!, the target holder is designed to hold the target

I dont know if they have good optical engineers, but not very good writers

Quote:
"NANOHA is the gate to the nanometer world"
:smt017 This would be very good resolution

More seriously, no authomatic diaphragm, almost fixed magnification...perhaps an enlanger lens reversed on some extension tubes and a LED pocket flashlight would do the same at much lower price.
Pau

AndrewC

Post by AndrewC »

... but at least someone thinks it is worth the effort to try and develop this.

There was one compact camera in the last few years that would automatically focus on several different key objects in the frame and fire a "focus spread" you could then stack.

It does seem odd that with all the other features (in camera hdr, pano assist, etc) that we can get in cameras today, we don't get a focus bracketing feature for macro / close-up.

I (and many others) woold love to hack a smart phone to serially link to a camera and give this kind of control.
rgds, Andrew

"Is that an accurate dictionary ? Charlie Eppes

Harold Gough

Post by Harold Gough »

AndrewC wrote:It does seem odd that with all the other features (in camera hdr, pano assist, etc) that we can get in cameras today, we don't get a focus bracketing feature for macro / close-up.
Andrew,

In that AF is generally hardly a great success in the macro range, I think you are being highly optimistic :)

Harold
My images are a medium for sharing some of my experiences: they are not me.

AndrewC

Post by AndrewC »

Harold Gough wrote:
AndrewC wrote:It does seem odd that with all the other features (in camera hdr, pano assist, etc) that we can get in cameras today, we don't get a focus bracketing feature for macro / close-up.
Andrew,

In that AF is generally hardly a great success in the macro range, I think you are being highly optimistic :)

Harold
... well that is why you would automatically focus bracket :)

For those brave souls with Canon compacts you can always try CHDK for which I think there is a focus bracket option.
rgds, Andrew

"Is that an accurate dictionary ? Charlie Eppes

DQE

Post by DQE »

"Aperture range: f/11 – f/32"

I wonder if that means nominal or effective aperture range?
-Phil

"Diffraction never sleeps"

Harold Gough

Post by Harold Gough »

DQE wrote:"Aperture range: f/11 – f/32"

I'm curious as to why you ask this for a prime lens.

Harold

DQE

Post by DQE »

Harold Gough wrote:
DQE wrote:"Aperture range: f/11 – f/32"

I'm curious as to why you ask this for a prime lens.

Harold
I was just thinking about the large difference between nominal apertures vs effective apertures for my MPE-65 lens, and wondering which type of spec this lens info provides. I would guess that it's the nominal apertures as that's most commonly used for most informational purposes.

In any event, I hope this new lens finds a good market within the macro community, both for the benefit of its intended users and to stimulate competition from the rest of the macro equipment community.
-Phil

"Diffraction never sleeps"

Harold Gough

Post by Harold Gough »

I know that the MPE-65 is manual focus but what about the aperture setting? In other words, is that elecrically controlled, needing EOS connections?

Harold

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Post by rjlittlefield »

I know that the MPE-65 is manual focus but what about the aperture setting? In other words, is that elecrically controlled, needing EOS connections?
Yes, the MP-E is electric, needing the EOS connections.

[quote="DQE""]"Aperture range: f/11 – f/32"

I wonder if that means nominal or effective aperture range?[/quote]
I hope it's effective. If it's nominal then the lens will never be sharp because at 4X-5X its effective aperture would then be f/55-f/192. I have shot at f/90 on an APS-C sensor, but it's not a pretty sight. I don't want to think about f/192.

--Rik

Charles Krebs

Post by Charles Krebs »

It is interesting.

Rik,
DQE" wrote:
"Aperture range: f/11 – f/32"

I hope it's effective. If it's nominal then the lens will never be sharp because at 4X-5X its effective aperture would then be f/55-f/192. I have shot at f/90 on an APS-C sensor, but it's not a pretty sight. I don't want to think about f/192.
You would certainly think "effective". Seems like there would little point going through the effort to make a 7 group/10 element lens if those were the actual "nominal" apertures. (You could take blurry pictures with a lot less work :wink: )

If it is "effective" that would give it a pretty impressive nominal aperture, in the f/1.5 to f/1.8 range.

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Post by rjlittlefield »

Charles Krebs wrote:If it is "effective" that would give it a pretty impressive nominal aperture, in the f/1.5 to f/1.8 range.
I'm betting on f/2.2 = 11/(4+1) -- widest aperture at lowest magnification.

Yes, that's pretty good. Not quite as wide as the f/10 effective that you can get by putting a Nikon CFI60 10X NA 0.25 on a 100mm tube lens. But on the other hand it has a little more working distance and an adjustable aperture.

--Rik

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic