Dandelion Stamens

Images made through a microscope. All subject types.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

Mitch640

Dandelion Stamens

Post by Mitch640 »

xys

Post by xys »

Nice patterns, beautiful colors.

Mitch640

Post by Mitch640 »

Thanks Rashid. The green background was a nice surprise. I used a fiber optic illuminator for the main light, then turned on the halogen lamp on the Fluophot and flipped a green filter into the light path and adjusted the intensity to taste.

The fiber optic light is a bit harsh, but I liked the overall effect.

RogelioMoreno

Post by RogelioMoreno »

Mitch,

Try using a diffuser (like a ping pong ball) and you will see a big change.

Rogelio

Mitch640

Post by Mitch640 »

Rogelio,

For these images, I removed the condenser from it's holder, then positioned the fiber light under the stage pointing up at the underside of the slide from the side. This produced a darkfield effect. If I had not turned on the halogen lamp on the scope and run it through the green filter built into the base, the background would have been black.

I was actually trying for Oblique illumination, which I did get when positioning the fiber light above the stage and at a low angle. But, I had to remove the coverslip, otherwise I got nothing. this worked on a dry subject, but I don't know if it would work on a drop of water with no coverslip.

I do have ping pong balls, and little opaque plastic cups that I got just for this purpose though, and will try it next. Will this transmit the light even with a coverslip in place? My lenses call for an 0.17 coverslip, and I think the image quality suffers without them.

I really don't understand how to get oblique lighting though. I know what it looks like, when others post images using it, but I can't seem to get the Fluophot to do it. Any tips would help. :)

Mitch640

Post by Mitch640 »

HAHA, Rogelio my friend, you are a wizard. Not only did it work, but it worked with the fiberlites aimed at the cup, above the stage, with the 10x and no coverslip, and even with the 20x Plan Apo and a coverslip in place. The light was not as bright as I would like, with the 20x, but enough for photography of non moving subjects. Maybe I can get more light on it by repositioning the fiber guides closer.

But the light was much more diffuse and not glaring with hotspots, which brought out more detail in the pollen grains. The effect, was as darkfield, and I was also able to get the green background by using the transmitted light from the scope halogen lamp.

Thank you my friend, excellent idea. :smt026

RogelioMoreno

Post by RogelioMoreno »

Mitch,

Good to hear that. Show us pictures so we can compare.

Rogelio

Mitch640

Post by Mitch640 »

Rogelio, here are a few images I just took this morning. These are with the diffuser only, and not the built in halogen light.

fpelectronica

Post by fpelectronica »

Hello Mitch
Good depth of focus for a microscope. Congratulations

Mitch640

Post by Mitch640 »

Hi Francisco. Yes, I use the 10x or 4x when I need DOF. The 20x has zero depth. :)

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic