Amazon Pics Part 19

Earlier images, not yet re-categorized. All subject types. Not for new images.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

Moebius

Amazon Pics Part 19

Post by Moebius »

Have many more leafhoppers to show, so will start off with this guy. He is as tiny as can be (a few millimeters).

I saw only two dragonflies down there my entire trip (one I showed very early in the series....#1 I think). This next pick may not have a background that is pleasing to the eye, but since he is only one of two I found, I will show him anyway. I do love his ruby red eyes though

Next week I will be showing more caterpillars, including the ugliest cat in the jungle and the prettiest. I will also show a wasp nest that I got stung photographing and much more. I think we are now on the third day of my trip.

Ken Nelson
Canon 30D
Sigma 150mm
Last edited by Moebius on Fri Jan 05, 2007 1:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Carl_Constantine

Post by Carl_Constantine »

I like the catchlight in the dragon's eyes on that last image.
Carl B. Constantine

beetleman

Post by beetleman »

That leafhopper is wonderful. Love the colors on that little bug :wink: I agree with you on the eyes on the dragonfly, very unique. Question Ken : any reason why you are not posting at 800 x 600 (the new max size for the forums now)? I want bigger :wink:
Take Nothing but Pictures--Leave Nothing but Footprints.
Doug Breda

Erland R.N.

Post by Erland R.N. »

The leafhopper is beautiful, and you captured it well in the 2nd photo.

I like the dragonfly picture too, don't mind the background at all, as I don't see it as confusing when looking at the insect.

(well I always like dragonfly pictures) :D

Tropical rainforest is not the best place for dragonflies, but the one you found looks nice with dark colours. One special kind of damselflis they have in South American rainforests, are species of amazing size, with wing spans up to 160 mm and body lenghts up to 210 mm !
The female use her very long abdomen to lay eggs in tree holes or plants, where temperary water may be present. That way they are not dependent on ground water like ponds or rivers etc. like nearly all dragonflies/damselflies are.

I don't think I can ID this species. The internet lacks good information about species in South America.

Erland

Moebius

Post by Moebius »

Doug,

<sound of hand slapping head>

Hmm, I was used to always using this size (was the size smaller on the old forum?). In any event, I have edited this post to larger size and will do so on all subsequent posts. You should have said something earlier.

K

MacroLuv

Post by MacroLuv »

Hey, now it looks even more impressive with 800× pixel. Limit is 800 × 800 & 200kb :wink:
We thought you've posted smaller pics because you haven't any watermark/copyright sign on your photographs. :?
The meaning of beauty is in sharing with others.

P.S.
Noticing of my "a" and "the" and other grammar
errors are welcome. :D

Moebius

Post by Moebius »

No, only reason I chose them is that my pics are hosted at smugmug. When you create a link to the pics at smugmug, you choose one of 5 sizes in smugmug to obtain a link (I don't manually make it that size....my original sizes are much much larger):

Tiny
Small
Medium
Large
Original

Seems to me that last year I figured out that Medium was the max size for this forum. If the size has increased since then, I neglected to up it to Large...which I have now on this post.

Hmmm, I have a few minutes, I think I will go through all my Amazon posts and change the link to the large pics.

K

Moebius

Post by Moebius »

There, that didn't take too long. Now all my Amazon series have the larger images. Much better.

You mentioned my lack of watermark/copyright on my photos...is that foolish on my part?

K

beetleman

Post by beetleman »

I don`t know the risks of not using them...I just started doing it because everyone else was. :smt102 On smugmug, you cannot see the full size image is that correct Ken. Some of these would make great desktop wallpapers
Take Nothing but Pictures--Leave Nothing but Footprints.
Doug Breda

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Post by rjlittlefield »

Moebius wrote:You mentioned my lack of watermark/copyright on my photos...is that foolish on my part?
"Foolish" would be way too strong of a word, Ken.

Very briefly, the copyright is yours whether you explicitly claim it or not. Presence or absence of any notice on the image does not affect legal status. See extended discussion at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Copyright# ... _copyright.

There are other benefits to consider, however. Having your name in the image does serve as a clear reminder of who shot the picture. Think of it as a form of "branding" or advertising. In addition, it's a formal notice to people might casually think otherwise, that you really don't want the image copied around without your control. And finally, it's maybe nice to have some sense of history, as in "When did I do that picture, anyway?"

I started marking mine some months ago, not because I figured there was any real need to, but because I decided I liked the effect. "(C) Rik Littlefield, 2006" -- hey, that's one of mine!

--Rik

svalley

Post by svalley »

Ken, I like the second leaf hopper a lot. Very well done. The dragonfly is good also. Hey, you have to take what you get with backgrounds.
"You can't build a time machine without weird optics"
Steve Valley - Albany, Oregon

Moebius

Post by Moebius »

Doug,

At smugmug the owner of the gallery has to option to either allow visitors to view at original resolution or not. I don't have a public gallery for the Amazon yet....you will have to see them a few at a time.

Ken

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic