First light with new microscope

Images made through a microscope. All subject types.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

Linden.g

First light with new microscope

Post by Linden.g »

My Olympus BH-2 arrived last week and I’ve spent the weekend setting it up. I’d like to thank Charles Krebs for his kind advice on purchasing the instrument and getting me started in this new area of photography. I won’t even attempt to ID this creature but I found him in a storm drain sample. In the first image, unfortunately he got a little compressed by the cover slip as he was swimming around frantically when I first observed him. Interestingly the "nematode" like organisms flocked around him as I suspect they sensed his distress. Image taken at 40x S-Plan acro, 2.5x phototube lens, DIC with flash. I hope to learn much more about microscopy and the organisms which I plan to observe but it does feel good to be able to join the forum with my own image.

Linden
Image[img]
Last edited by Linden.g on Mon Feb 14, 2011 9:41 pm, edited 5 times in total.

jc maccagno

re id's

Post by jc maccagno »

Good pictures..I too asked Charles about a DIC system(Many thanks for the advice Charles)

I suspect that the cilate is a species of Colpoda (multiple vacuoles and visible lateral oral opening?

The "nematodes" are likely a Spirochaete form of bacteria.

All the best

John

Charles Krebs

Post by Charles Krebs »

:smt023
Looks real nice from here!
Welcome to a new universe to explore.

Linden.g

Post by Linden.g »

Thanks for the ID's John. I did some reading on both species, makes sense now based on where I found the sample.

Charlie, I'm very pleased with the microscope it seems to be working well. I followed your instructions for adding the flash tube in place of the lamp. I also added an 18 watt LED with variable power control.

Linden

ABEL

Post by ABEL »

Very nice.

But they are not "nematodes"; they are bacteria spirochaete.

realjax

Post by realjax »

Linden.g wrote: I also added an 18 watt LED with variable power control.
Could you tell me some more? I'm thinking of doing something similar. What components did you use exactly and where did you get them from ?

thanks.
Jacco

Linden.g

Post by Linden.g »

Realjax, I've added details of the LED in the equipment section here http://www.photomacrography.net/forum/v ... 8051#78051

Hope this helps

Linden

realjax

Post by realjax »

Linden.g wrote:Realjax, I've added details of the LED in the equipment section here http://www.photomacrography.net/forum/v ... 8051#78051

Hope this helps

Linden
Great, thank your for that!
Jacco

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic