Slow motion hypotrich

Images made through a microscope. All subject types.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Slow motion hypotrich

Post by rjlittlefield »

I played around with some slow-motion video this afternoon, using the "Fast Frame Rate" capture mode of my Canon SD700 IS. That's 320x240 pixels at 60 frames per second.

Here's a single frame from a short video of an unusually cooperative hypotrich, showing what I take to be the undulating membrane and three anterior cirri.

The video, slowed down to 7.5 frames per second (1/8 speed) can be found here (2.6MB, DivX format avi).

I question whether 60 frames per second is actually fast enough to resolve the motion of these cilia. I find it very odd that the wave seems to be moving clockwise, while debris in the water is obviously being swept rapidly down the left side -- counter-clockwise. I suspect temporal aliasing (strobing), like the old wagon-wheel-runs-backward effect. Does anybody here know the actual motion and period of oscillation for the cilia?

--Rik

Charles Krebs

Post by Charles Krebs »

Hi Rik.... fun stuff

You are seeing the "strobe" effect you mentioned. 60fps just doesn't cut it for this. Don't know what would be needed
(200fps would be a start :wink: )

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Post by rjlittlefield »

Hi Charlie!

Frustrating, frustrating stuff!! Cameras too slow, no DOF to speak of, and when the critters are doing anything interesting they're usually running around too fast to track. Sheesh! A guy would have to be crazy to spend valuable vacation time like this!! Aarrgghh!!!!

(He exits, stage left, still screaming, muttering something about frame rates and bandwidth...) :roll:

--Rik

Ken Ramos

Post by Ken Ramos »

Rick said:
(He exits, stage left, still screaming, muttering something about frame rates and bandwidth...)
I do the same thing when tying size 32 midges with 6/0 silk when I should in all actuallity be using 8/0, just ain't enough room on that little hook #@#!#@ it! :lol: Good video there Rik. This is one thing you guys are going to get me to try sooner or later. :D

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic