Vorticella (I need help for identification)

Images made through a microscope. All subject types.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

Marek Mis

Vorticella (I need help for identification)

Post by Marek Mis »

20 X CZJ apochromat, Lumipan - CZJ old microscope
Phase contrast

Mitch640

Post by Mitch640 »

I like the detail in this Merek. I have yet to find any vorticelli myself.
Last edited by Mitch640 on Tue Nov 30, 2010 4:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

jmfrico

To Marek Mis-Photos with CZJ Lumipan

Post by jmfrico »

Dear Marek:
I've been watching your excellent photos in this forum and I would like to ask you some questions. I have, like you, an old CZJ Lumipan, and I am trying to introduce myself into microphotography. For this reason, recently I acquired a Lomo MFN-11 trinocular head, with I attach to my Nikon D80. I also have seen you use a lot of techniques: phase, fluorescence, etc.
The question is: could you give me some comments, hints, equipment clues, about your photography experience with the Lumipan?.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Best regards,
Javier M. Rico
Madrid, Spain

Marek Mis

Post by Marek Mis »

Hello Javier,

Thank you for your compliments about my photomicrography.
It will be pleasant for me to help you with photomicrography but I would prefer exact questions.
I'll try to answer as soon as I have some leisure time.
It's nice to know that there is somebody using the Lumipan microscope, like me.
So I'm waiting for your questions

Marek Mis
Suwalki, Poland

jmfrico

Post by jmfrico »

Marek:
My first question is about your trinocular head. I have a Lomo MFN-11 trinocular head with a photo adapter and I am having some difficulties setting the correct parfocality. How do you correct this?.
Best,
Javier

Charles Krebs

Post by Charles Krebs »

Javier,

Obviously Marek can address your questions as to the Lumipan... just wanted to be sure you have seen his post here:
http://www.photomacrography.net/forum/v ... hp?t=10227

Here, he was kind enough to add some photographs of his microscope set-up, and his inventive solution to adding the polarizer/wave-plates that he uses to create his wonderfully graphic photomicrographs.

I have a few other thoughts on your problem, but I have split them off into the "technique" section. There's probably a better chance of someone who is familiar with this particular trinocular head (I am not) seeing it over there and possibly offering some good information:
http://www.photomacrography.net/forum/v ... hp?p=73149

Marek Mis

Post by Marek Mis »

Javier,

Now I've got a while to answer for your questions.
If about my trinocular head you could see it thanks to Charlie who gave the link to one of my posts :)
As you could see it wasn't the trinocular head but simple tube with horizontal eyepiece. It wasn't parafocal construction. First I looked over the slide through the horizontal eyepiece. When I found something interesting I had to stand up and observe it on my Pentax camera monitor. I had to align the focus looking straight at the monitor. It wasn't comfortable. Additionally because of the tube length the image on the monitor was only the part of regular field of wiev seeing through the horizontal eyepiece. As you can see using my device wasn't easy. But there was one advantage - I could see exact frame of my final result.
Last days I managed to buy the real trinocular head at Polish auction :D . Thanks to it my work became more comfortable. I can observe the slide both of eyes. It is really comfortable. But until now I haven't tried to set parfocality. Force of habitat is stronger :wink:
The length of my new head is smaller than the previous one so at the monitor I can obtain the imege almost the same like in the eyepiece. Perhaps somewhen I'll try to align parfocality but now it is not so important to me. Charlie gave you already a lot of advices if about parfocality settings.
If about phase contrast:
I haven't used it for last year so I forgat a little. But it is not so difficult. I must back to this method to explain you exactly everything. I'll try to take some photographs presenting various results depending on degree of rotation the ring in phase device.
Your Lumipan is older than mine indeed, but not too much I think. The most important for the image quality is quality of optics and not model of microscope. But new microscope give us the prime quality of mechanical parts which is very important for convenience of our work
Now I'm enclosing some photographs with my new trinocular head.
It allows or observing sample through the eyepieces or through the camera, not simultanously.

Suwalki, PolandImage

Best regards

Marek Mis
Suwalki, Poland

jmfrico

Post by jmfrico »

Marek:
I have two more questions about your equipment (sorry for the amount of questions, but it's not common to see a Lumipan user out there):
1. Hoy do you attain phase contrast with the Jena pancratic condenser?. I know that it's neccesary a special phase insert, but I don't know if yours is homemade.
2. How does your polarization system work?. I would like to try with this lighting technique with my scope.
Thanks a lot,
Javier

Marek Mis

Post by Marek Mis »

Javier,
I enclose below some images of my equipment for phase contrast and polarization. As you can see the phase device is a special part designed to the pankratic condenser. It has two transparent rings and the diaphragm. The working ring depends on your choice, how you set the diaphragm. You can modulate the intensity of phase effect. Every phase objective has certainly two phase rings.
If about polarization I have very simple set of my own design which contains polarizer, and two retarders - IR (I don't know what it means) and quarter wave plate. Each of these parts can rotate separately and you can choose what you want to use - or only polarizer either any retarder, together or separately. The analizer is inserted into tube just above the objective turret (you can see it in my previous post.
And that's it.
I sometimes incorporate many lighting techniques together.

Bast regards

Marek Mis
Suwalki, Poland

Marek Mis

Post by Marek Mis »

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic