Holophrya discolor, Lacrymaria, and ?

Images made through a microscope. All subject types.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

Charles Krebs

Holophrya discolor, Lacrymaria, and ?

Post by Charles Krebs »

I was able to take some time tonight and go through the microscope photographs I've missed the last month or so. Remarkable work being shown here! It's so great to see it!

I also had a little time to take another peek at yesterdays pond sample.
The first is Holophrya discolor (Thanks to Martins correction and ID below).

The second subject is a Lacrymaria. Unfortunately this picture doesn't even begin to tell the story of the most amazing aspect of this critter. The degree to which it can extend it's neck when looking for food is simply astounding. Here's a link to some pictures I took 5 years ago that really show this (technically not the best images but worth a look). If you've never seen this before, you're going to find it hard to believe:
http://www.photomacrography1.net/forum/ ... php?t=4061

Don't know what the ciliates in the last picture are. :(

Olympus BHS. Zeiss 40/1.0 Plan Apo (oil). Olympus 1.67X NFK. Canon 50D. DIC with electronic flash.

Olympus BHS. Olympus 60/1.40 S Plan Apo (oil). Olympus 1.67X NFK. Canon 50D. DIC with electronic flash.

Olympus BHS. Zeiss 40/1.0 Plan Apo. Olympus 1.67X NFK. Canon 50D. DIC with electronic flash.

Olympus BHS. Olympus 20/0.80 D Plan Apo UV (oil). Olympus 1.67X NFK. Canon 50D. DIC with electronic flash.

edit... corrected the ID for the first two pictures
Last edited by Charles Krebs on Tue Dec 07, 2010 11:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

NikonUser

Post by NikonUser »

Superb shots, as usual.
Especially interested in the ID of the Lacrymaria. I saw one of these a few months back for about 5 seconds. Could not believe what I saw; have not seen one since and have been wondering, up until now, if I dreamt the whole thing.

(BTW: what do you think of the human cheek cell with the 60x Nikon and 100x Olympus DIC prism and NFK eyepiece - be brutal)
You wrote "I would be curious to know if you get decent DIC with this objective if you use the 100X prism in the condenser. (Sometimes other "brands" work nicely, sometimes not so nicely)."
SEE HERE
NU.
student of entomology
Quote – Holmes on ‘Entomology’
” I suppose you are an entomologist ? “
” Not quite so ambitious as that, sir. I should like to put my eyes on the individual entitled to that name.
No man can be truly called an entomologist,
sir; the subject is too vast for any single human intelligence to grasp.”
Oliver Wendell Holmes, Sr
The Poet at the Breakfast Table.

Nikon camera, lenses and objectives
Olympus microscope and objectives

Martin Kreutz

Post by Martin Kreutz »

Hi Charles,

let me help regarding the ID. The first 2 images are showing Holophrya discolor and not Nassula. The basket of Nassula is located sub-apically and the contractile vacuole of Nassula is located in the mid-body.

The last imgage shows Dexiotricha granulosa. The body of this ciliate is filled up with ring shaped granules.

Very nice images (as usual)!

Martin

ABEL

Post by ABEL »

Hello.

Very nice photos Charles (Since always also) :wink:

Instructive explanations Martin. Thank you¡

Charles Krebs

Post by Charles Krebs »

Martin,
Very appreciative of your correction and identification.

I used to add a disclaimer to ID's I was not certain of:

Approach my identifications with extreme caution

Maybe I should start doing that again... :( :wink:

The last imgage shows Dexiotricha granulosa. The body of this ciliate is filled up with ring shaped granules.
Indeed it is. Here's a closer shot focused into the cell.

Ecki

Post by Ecki »

I have added some pictures of Nassula here: http://www.photomacrography.net/forum/v ... hp?t=11650

Regards
Ecki

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic