Stoma - Plant Anatomy

Images made through a microscope. All subject types.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

Ecki

Stoma - Plant Anatomy

Post by Ecki »

63x Brightfield

The top line of cells here form the epidermis, the "skin" of the plant. The cells are very close to each other and there is even a wax-like coating, the cuticula, to "seal" the plant. The epidermis is punctuated with pores, called stomata (singular stoma). The cells under the epidermis contain chlorophyll. They are irregular in shape and loosely packed.

The stoma itself is made by two guard cells than can open and close the pore. This is done by regulating the turgor in the guard cells. Under the stoma is an air pocket to make this machine more efficient.

Photosynthesis produces O2 and H2O and uses CO2 . When the guard cells open the stoma, O2 and H2O vapor goes out and CO2 comes in - the plant breathes.

Regards
Ecki

Mitch640

Post by Mitch640 »

Your plant images are so beautiful. And what is the red? Is this stained? And one last question, how thin are your slices? :)

Ecki

Post by Ecki »

The red tissue is sclerenchyma. This section is a bit thick - I guess approximately 40 µm. Acridine red was applied a bit to long for this thickness therefore the individual cells in the sclerenchyma can not be seen.

This is a clover stem, cut and stained by me. The procedures how I do it is described here: http://www.photomacrography.net/forum/v ... php?t=8349

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic