Serrations on the tooth of a 220 million year old Rutiodon

Images made through a microscope. All subject types.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

Bruce Williams

Serrations on the tooth of a 220 million year old Rutiodon

Post by Bruce Williams »

Hi folks,

Considering that it is at least 220 million years old, the quality of this tooth amazes me. It is from a North African Rutiodon (they are also found in N.America) - a late Triassic phytosaur.

I find in almost impossible to get my mind around this sort of time scale - when you think, that the Rutiodon was a lot further back in Tyrannosaurus rex's past than T. rex (at 65-85 million) is in ours.

Although not closely related (and much more heavily armoured), they were very crocodilian in appearance, only with their nostrils located up close to their eyes. Estimates of size vary a bit, but are generally in the order of 12 to 15 foot. For more info and an illustration of the animal see this website:

http://www.paleodirect.com/phyto1.htm

I have no idea what the white marks are, they maybe spoil the overall "look" a bit, but on the plus side they helped make this tooth affordable.

The tooth enamel is quite reflective and I had some problems with lighting. Microscope was a Meiji EMZ-5TR with Olympus SP-350 and Brunel adapter. All images stacked (pic1=10, pic2=12 and pic3=8 ) with CombineZ5.

Last edited by Bruce Williams on Fri Feb 23, 2007 12:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

beetleman

Post by beetleman »

Very different Bruce. Almost looks freshly pulled. Cool specimen.
Take Nothing but Pictures--Leave Nothing but Footprints.
Doug Breda

Ken Ramos

Post by Ken Ramos »

You have done an excellent job on this Bruce, looks as though you and the Meiji have come to an understanding. Great photographs :smt023

Bruce Williams

Post by Bruce Williams »

Thanks for your comments guys. Yes that fresh pulled look is fairly characteristic of Rutiodon teeth - seemingly irrespective of the geological matrix.

Bruce

Kite

Post by Kite »

excellent photos, and I completely agree with the fresh pulled look.

it looks like this guy didnt brush either :P

well... brushing and flossing the serrations in teeth may take a long time, especially in a croc type animal :D
Microscope: Watson Barnett Bactil
Camera: Kodak DX7440 (not SLR, no attachment for the microscope, i just hold it over the lens and pray :()

MacroLuv

Post by MacroLuv »

That tooth looks very freshly for its age, indeed! :D
This guy didn't consume chocolate for sure. :lol:
The meaning of beauty is in sharing with others.

P.S.
Noticing of my "a" and "the" and other grammar
errors are welcome. :D

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic