Leave your teak Ameba?.....video

Images made through a microscope. All subject types.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

fpelectronica

Leave your teak Ameba?.....video

Post by fpelectronica »

Hello
In this video I see what it looks to be an amoeba that leaving your teak broken - with complete safety -
Could it be?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a0XP9L6KqKc

john sp.

Post by john sp. »

Very interesting. It does indeed look like the test perhaps was crushed by the coverslip and the amoeba was forced to leave its shelter. It's difficult to say; the proximity of the two could be coincidental, as well, I suppose.

fpelectronica

Post by fpelectronica »

Indeed, John, could be a coincidence
The abandonment of teak is a strange femonemo poorly documented - I know, "
Similar long film so I think it is possible that this femoneno possible. I hope some expert clarification.
Francisco

ABEL

Post by ABEL »

Hello ¡

I believe that she dies :cry:

Ferry

Post by Ferry »

You squeezed the amoeba out of his theca. They never leave their home, but here it is clear that the crushed theca is the only reason. I have observed this many times, also with large Difflugia's. You can also obeserve that your amoeba isn't moving much and, as Abel states, is dying. The abandonment of a theca is poorly documented, because it never happens.

Ferry

fpelectronica

Post by fpelectronica »

Hello Ferry
Thank you for your information
I think it is my opinion that, in the world of freshwater microorganisms say "never happens" is a bit risky
In my opinion, based on my experience, every day new phenomena are observed. It's the magic of ciliates, diatoms, rotifers ... etc
The abandonment of teak by the amoeba, but strange and not documented, I believe, possible
In this video - poor quality, I observed the same femonemo
Coincidence?. I really do not know
Francisco
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bky5q5XPrsQ

Ferry

Post by Ferry »

Hello Francisco,

Of course one has to be careful, but I base my opinion on 30 years of research on amoeba, thecamoeba and heliozoa. You asked for an expert...

Kind regards,

Ferry

Mitch640

Post by Mitch640 »

So where do new testate amoebas come from? They don't lay eggs. The shell isn't divided in half. It does look in this second video like the first one divided itself and sent one half off on it's own. Will it build a new shell?

fpelectronica

Post by fpelectronica »

Hi Ferry
I am grateful and I appreciate very much your advice and opinions
To me, it's a pleasure to have the help and advice of experts.
Mitch,I do not know the answer , I thought that life could go free, similar to how voricella when released from the peduncle
Greetings
Fracisco

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Post by rjlittlefield »

Readers of this thread: please note that I have moved Ferry's description of how thecamoeba multiply to a new topic of its own.

The forum organization will be cleaner this way, with both topics easier to find later.

The new topic is here: How thecamoeba multiply (Arcella) .

--Rik

fpelectronica

Post by fpelectronica »

An interesting article, in part, speaks of the possibility of difflugia to live outside of the theca
http://www.biolbull.org/content/61/2/223.full.pdf
Francisco

Ecki

Post by Ecki »

Francisco,

the information in these historic papers has to be taken with a grain of salt. I just got a book by Professor Dr. August Gruber (120 years old) who reports on Actinophyrs sol. He observed small species of A. sol without a nucleus and includes drawings of stained species that show no nucleus :D

The thin layer of water under the cover slip is an alien habitat. The behavior of many protists under the cover slip is different from nature. When thecamoeba leave their shell they are dying. The pressure of the cover slip triggers this quite often.

regards
Ecki

fpelectronica

Post by fpelectronica »

thanks Ecki
I agree, I just seemed an interesting article and thought it would be interesting to share
In the book "Zoologia especial PROTOZOOS" Albert Westphal. (do not know the English name) refers to experiments with Chaos and Stentor. In these experiments, "short" in two, a piece containing the nucleus, the other not. The two are regenerated funcionon maintaining mobility of the pulsating vacuole and, in some species, the ability to feed but not nucleated piece makes no digestion.
Francisco

Ecki

Post by Ecki »

Francisco,

I have stored that paper in my library :) Some of those are quite amusing, I agree.

Regads
Eckhard

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic