Lens flare / glare or hotspot?

Starting out in microscopy? Post images and ask questions relating to the microscope and get answers from our more advanced users on the subject.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

scitch

Post by scitch »

Mogie;

Several of us have had this exact same problem and it was due to reflection on the inside of the adapter. A roll of black construction paper gets rid of it completely. I'm not familiar with your adapter, but give it a shot.

Mike

Mitch640

Post by Mitch640 »

Mike. I bought something called M-Nu, a lacquer, like flat black nail polish, originally used for USMC Uniform buttons and insignia. I painted the insides of my adapters that I thought was causing a hot spot from reflection. It did nothing to help.

The best fix was to run the condenser down to spread the light out. Now that I have an adapter with a lens in it, it's almost gone. That's for the DSLR. I have two other cameras for video. One had a really nasty hot spot, even though the adapter has a lens in it. The problem with that one is, the lens is in the wrong place, as Charles has mentioned. I have several adapters to adjust it several ways, using it in the trinocular port or an eyepiece with the lens out. Still have the hot spot.

Today, I received a new CCD camera. It has no adapter, but I can connect it to the trinocular port and the sensor is very close to the lens inside the trinocular port of the scope body itself. No hot spot.

Bottom line, as far as I see it is, Charles is right. The sensor has to be in the exact right spot where all the light beams come together, or, your adapter has to have a lens in that exact spot, to kill the hot spot. And, as mentioned in another place, I believe almost all the microscope manufacturers have fallen down on the adapter department. :)

Mogie

Post by Mogie »

Craig,

Fantastic fits inside. Feel a bit stupid for not figuring that one out. Seems a little dangerous as there's nothing stopping the eyepiece from sliding inside the camera and causing damage to the mirror / sensor etc. Bit of a cheap design I think but at least I can take proper pics now. Will save up for a better one I think. Here's something a little more abstract than what I've seen so far. (maybe there could be an abstract section???). Fish scales and mounting jelly mixed with a little water.

Love the site learned so much already. Keep up the good work
Next mission the image stack

Thanks again
MogieImage

Craig Gerard

Post by Craig Gerard »

Mogie,

Excellent!

We don't differentiate between abstract and documentary images, as far as I know, but if Admin have a different position, they will advise.

Regarding the eyepiece - gravity should keep it in its place. (within reason)

Enjoy!

Craig
To use a classic quote from 'Antz' - "I almost know exactly what I'm doing!"

Mitch640

Post by Mitch640 »

Seems a little dangerous as there's nothing stopping the eyepiece from sliding inside the camera and causing damage to the mirror
Be careful with it. I bought a cheap one from E-Bay that has a cheap plastic cylinder that fits inside, just like what your explaining yours does. And it did hit my mirror. Make sure you always have it pointed down when you handle yours.

Mogie

Post by Mogie »

Hi Mitch,

Yeah its certainly an issue. However owning a camera worth a considerable amount of money seems to be a constant source of worry. I'll just have to be very careful until I can afford something a bit safer.

Thanks for all the help.

seemann

Post by seemann »

Hello Mogie,

first of all,sorry for my bad english,I`m from Austria.
Following the discussion I want to answer,that I´m using the same adapter (without additional eyepiece) on my microscope (Reichert Biovar,
Canon Eos 550D).
I observed the same problem (hotspots).This hotspot created not from reflexions in the adapter (which is painted perfect in black color) but from reflexions inside of the trinotubus.
My solution:I sticked black paper inside this tube.
Result:No more hotspots...

Kind regards
Manfred

Mogie

Post by Mogie »

Thanks Manfed,

I'll give it a go. Also not sure if it works for you but once I tried inserting the eyepiece into the camera end of the tube it slotted in. Might be worth trying on yours too. You can then add wide angle eyepieces etc.

Mogie

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic