Gammarus gnathopod, cross polarized. Eye added

Images made through a microscope. All subject types.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

Charles Krebs

Gammarus gnathopod, cross polarized. Eye added

Post by Charles Krebs »

It's always intriguing for me to have a look at the way muscle tissue responds to cross polarized light. Here I'm having a look at a gnathopod of a Gammarus, a small shrimp-like amphipod that is very common in my pond and lake samples. Plain to see where the strength of those "pincers" come from!

Olympus BHS, 4/0.16 S Plan Apo, 1.67 NFK photoeyepiece, Cross-polarized brightfield illumination, Canon 50D DSLR.

Olympus BHS, 10/0.40 S Plan Apo, 1.67 NFK photoeyepiece, Cross-polarized brightfield illumination, Canon 50D DSLR.
Last edited by Charles Krebs on Thu Sep 16, 2010 1:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Cactusdave

Post by Cactusdave »

A beautiful and revealing image.
Leitz Ortholux 1, Zeiss standard, Nikon Diaphot inverted, Canon photographic gear

Mitch640

Post by Mitch640 »

Charles, very beautiful images. Could he be an early ancestor of humans? I see there is a lot of muscle right behind the eyes. :)

Your images keep answering questions I never thought to ask. It never occured to me that polarized light could reveal the differences in tissue types. Maybe I have some of that behind my eyes too. LOL

RogelioMoreno

Post by RogelioMoreno »

Charles,

Beautiful details.

Hope to be using polarized light soon.

Rogelio

Charles Krebs

Post by Charles Krebs »

Thanks for the comments!

I had also photographed the eye, so I thought I would add it to this post rather than start a new one. Very unusual eye. I've always noticed it, but have never really gotten a shot that shows it well. (This one really does not either, but it is a little more detailed). Really needs to be 3D to see the unusual characteristics. The eye "facets" are slightly recessed in a white, rough, somewhat non-uniform "matrix". I'll have to see if I can show it better sometime :smt017

morfa

Post by morfa »

Absolutely amazing Charles! The cross-polarization works magic in the muscle tissue and I really like how it reveals the other parts as well.

I would love to see more and a cross polarized cross eye stereogram would make my day!

ABEL

Post by ABEL »

Hello.

Precious Photos Charles.

I mix, in some occasions, the polarization with oblique light with good results. Thanks.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic