Help with my 1st setup- confused on which scope to buy.

Starting out in microscopy? Post images and ask questions relating to the microscope and get answers from our more advanced users on the subject.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

Howardjr7

Help with my 1st setup- confused on which scope to buy.

Post by Howardjr7 »

I am going to try my hand in this area of photography. I have been reading/following this forum for a while and have finally narrow my choice of a scope to either an Omano OM 88T Trincocular Compound microscope or an AM Scope TA 490A DK. I will use the scope on a Nikon D 200 camera. I will purchase a Nikon DR-6 right angel viewfinder and for the camera. At this point, I plan on also purchasing “ cam adapter –universal digital camera microscope adapter and T-mount from –Microscpoes.com to attach the camera to the trinocular. Am I missing something in my 1st setup? Which of the 2 scopes is a better product? I have decide to avoid the use market internet market at this point as I don’t know how to evaluate a Trinocular with it optics an am leery getting equipment that might not perform as stated. w/o a warranty.

Charles Krebs

Post by Charles Krebs »

Which of the 2 scopes is a better product?
Just saw your message. I think one reason no one has responded so far is that it's not really possible to answer some of your questions unless one has personal experience with the equipment mentioned.

I've not even seen the pieces you mention. Offhand (quick look on the web) I would guess that they are probably of comparable quality. I would probably be inclined to go with the company that, in your communications, seemd most responsive as far as customer service is concerned. But I would also try to learn a little more about the trinocular hear on the Omano. Ideally it is nice to be able to have a choice of where the light (image) is directed on a trinocular head. Light can go 100% to both eyepieces, 100% to camera, or split between eyepieces and camera. It would be great to have a choice of all three, but that's generally not the case until you get into a higher end scope. Personally I like a split when working with living subjects, or with a camera that is not hooked up to a monitor or screen with live-view. I think the Amscope is a constant "split". It would be nice to be able to put 100% to the eyepieces for a brighter view when not taking pictures, but overall I put a pretty high value on "simultaneous" viewing and photographing.

Again I have no idea of the quality of the camera adapter. But with the equipment you have mentioned here, you should be able to get "up and running" quickly.

Mitch640

Post by Mitch640 »

I recently bought the Amscope Model T490B-30W-DK. It's very nice, shows excellent views through the eyepieces and now that I have bought a decent adapter, the trinocular port works pretty good. I am happy with it.

But... I thought I shopped around pretty good. I did not really have any experience with scopes since I was a kid, and that doesn't count. I should have done some serious searching for used scopes, which I did not do.

Both models you mentiond are about the same general quality. But there are the little things that you have to know about to get the best deals. Like objective lenses. My scope came with just Achromatic objectives. About the lowest grade there is. Maybe the Omano comes with something better. I don't know. But check out those things before you buy. And I am still too new at this to give any kind of advise on equipment, except to say to learn what you can before buying, but then, don't be afraid to get something you like and can afford to. :)

Howardjr7

Post by Howardjr7 »

Thanks for the replies. I'll have to check on the ," where the light (image) is directed" on the Omano Trinocular head. I never even considered this as a possible issues/feature in trying to choose a microscope. Achromatic objectives...I think the Omano is equiped with achromatic objectives as well. It appears I have some more research to conduct before I make my purchases.

Howardjr7

Post by Howardjr7 »

I made contact with both staff AM Scope and at Microscope.com(Omano). The Omano trinocular head has a switch which allows 100% of the light to the trinocular head or 100% of the light to the eyepieces. There is no split between the two viewing devices. The Omano scope has a limited lifetime warranty and this, model OM 88T, comes with achromatic objectives. In addition to the information provided by Mitch640, the AM scope has a 5 year warranty. Staff at AM scope informed me that the "split" between the eyepieces and the trinocular head is 20% to the eye pieces and 80 % to the trinocular head.

Mitch640

Post by Mitch640 »

That's good to know Howard, even I wasn't aware of that. Can that really be accurate though? 20% doesn't sound like much, and for sure, the eyepiece viewing is nice and bright, even when the light intensity is turned way down. It would hurt your eyes to look at it on high, using 4x, or even 10x.

The thing with Amscope is, I think their scopes are all made by the same Chinese factories that make Omano, Nikon and some of the other big 4 scopes. :)

Howardjr7

Post by Howardjr7 »

I'm delighted to see your response, as I questioned the 20% -80% split as well...it just didn't sound right to me.

Mitch640

Post by Mitch640 »

I'll be curious to see what others might say on this. Not saying it isn't possible, but 50/50 is more likely.

Howardjr7

Post by Howardjr7 »

This is just an update for you Mitch640. I found an Olympus BH-2 Tr30 Trinocular head - starting bid at $347.44- on Ebay. Even though that overall system is currently out of my price range, the "spilt" is just like the one presented to me from AM Scope's staff. This head actually falls right in line with the information Charles stated earlier regarding the way light is directed in the more professional/expensive systems . In other words, I believe the AM cope is actually 20/80 split. The percentage to eyepieces to camera for the Olympus head are 100/0, 20/80, and 0/100.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Olympus-Trinocular- ... 500wt_1154

Mitch640

Post by Mitch640 »

That's very interesting. Since the eyepieces are so bright and the camera port always seems to need more light, it's hard to imagine that the tri-port is getting 80%. I guess it is though. :)

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic